Double V Triple Glazing

TRS30

Did a search and saw a few old thread so though would look for updated thoughts.

Getting estimate to replace 3 windows (two bedroom and sitting room) at front of house. Is north facing so colder in winter and current windows are DG however over 20 years old.

Is TG worth the extra money over DG? Is coming in about €700 more expensive. On a budget so that money could be used elsewhere if not worth it.

Is TG worth the extra money over DG? Is coming in about €700 more expensive
A lot will depend on the overall energy efficiency of the property/rooms, thermal bridging around window frames etc. E.g. not much point in triple versus double glazed if most of the energy loss is via the window surrounds?

A lot will depend on the overall energy efficiency of the property/rooms, thermal bridging around window frames etc. E.g. not much point in triple versus double glazed if most of the energy loss is via the window surrounds?

I would assume that the company fitting the windows would only recommend/offer TG if the frames support it, as such.

I would assume that the company fitting the windows would only recommend/offer TG if the frames support it, as such.
Are you just replacing the glazed units or the full windows including the frames? What are the U-values of the double are triple glazed options and and how much more are they charging for the triple?

ClubMan's point about what the windows will be fitted into remains valid, are the walls well insulated with good air-tightness?

Salespeople will usually try to sell you the option that makes them most money, your considerations are secondary.

Are you just replacing the glazed units or the full windows including the frames? What are the U-values of the double are triple glazed options and and how much more are they charging for the triple?

ClubMan's point about what the windows will be fitted into remains valid, are the walls well insulated with good air-tightness?

Salespeople will usually try to sell you the option that makes them most money, your considerations are secondary.

Replacing glass and frame. Standard block walls. Might look to have the front of the house wrapped or insultation pumped in winter 2024.

I think the u-value on the TG was 0.8 and 1.1 on the DG.

Your last point is exactly why I thought to get some peoples opinions. Stuff online seems to be very inconsistent, i.e. some say it worth it and other say it isn't.

We replaced our windows recently and went with TG. I felt the difference between 0.8 and 1.2 seemed significant, particularly for the large windows we were installing, and the cost uplift compared to the total for replacing the windows made it a no brainer for me.

Last edited:
Replacing glass and frame. Standard block walls. Might look to have the front of the house wrapped or insultation pumped in winter 2024.

I think the u-value on the TG was 0.8 and 1.1 on the DG.

Your last point is exactly why I thought to get some peoples opinions. Stuff online seems to be very inconsistent, i.e. some say it worth it and other say it isn't.
Beware, some TG windows are not as good as DG, so pay attention to the specs when deciding.
If the 0.8W/m2k figure is the u-value for the whole window (frame & glazing) then this would be considered quite good for TG units.

Might be best if window replacement coincided with installation of external insulation, if that's the route you follow ultimately. Better chance of airtight seal if windows and insulation done simultaneously.

You'll also get additional sound insulation with triple. I got triple in 2 years ago and very glad I did, but at that time it wasn't much more, maybe 10% of price

Might be best if window replacement coincided with installation of external insulation, if that's the route you follow ultimately. Better chance of airtight seal if windows and insulation done simultaneously.
I'd very much agree with that, particularly if external insulation is being considered. Doing them at the same time means the windows can be placed within the insulated envelope. Doing the windows now and insulation later will result in cold bridging.

So this is the reply I got when asked from some technical info:

Also included is the energy certificates for double and triple. Double is 1.4 and Triple is 1.1 (This includes the frame).

The windows are uPVC and with regards fitting we screw the windows the side reveals and then apply an airtight insulation foam around the window.

cid:8888C383-AA3A-4342-A852-CB03BCA880E6
cid:3561D86A-2B74-4ED6-BDC0-C35E9B0389AC

I'd very much agree with that, particularly if external insulation is being considered. Doing them at the same time means the windows can be placed within the insulated envelope. Doing the windows now and insulation later will result in cold bridging.

Not sure we could afford to do both at the same time. Is it really that important to do them at the same time?

Was hoping the windows upgrade would improve things this winter and potentially external insulation the following winter.

On double versus triple, i went for triple, uv value was 1.0.

A few reasons,

1)Solar Gain - you get less of it with triple, but when we had our ‘95 original pvc double windows, if it was a hot day, we do get some of these ! the solar gain, heated up the house, and i always had trouble sleeping, that issue is now gone with triple glazed, as it blocks some of the solar gain coming into the house.

2) Heat retention, Conversely, triple keeps the heat in better, so in winter, you loose less heat.

3)Noise - a very noticeable reduction in external noise, which i personally appreciate a lot.

We did a full windows and door replacement, and heat pump, we priced it up in 2021, but waited, and were lucky, the grants increased significantly in 2022, so went for it last year.

If you get to B2 mimimum,(one stop shop scheme) the grants for a full windows and 2 external door replacement, is €5,600 for a detached house + heat pump grants are €8,500, and a few other smaller grants, so, we got approximately 15k in total, and paid roughly 15k, allthough we were lucky the 2021 quote was honoured, appreciate prices have gone up significantly since then.

For some, for various reasons, including affordability. its a choice of : waiting and doing a bigger job later on, & claiming the fairly sizeable grants, or, doing some of these upgrades, bit by bit, but, in that case you are not getting full grants.

In the grand scheme of things, i thought 15k, for a significant upgrade from Ber C2 previously, to A3 now, was a good decision. Some people spend a lot more, changing their cars, or big holidays. Our priority was the house, but appreciate, people have very different priorities, young kids, etc.

It has made a big difference, a much more comfortable house, but needs to be coupled with good electricity usage, as heat pump uses a lot of electricity, so a day/night meter got installed last year, you can do things like heating all your hot water on a cheaper night rate, have the heating come on, early in the am, while night rate is still going etc.

I had the same dilemma approx 10 years ago. House was a 1998 build with DG windows, rubbish ones with poor hinges, poor seals, and poor closing mechanisms leading to drafts in most rooms. Got very mixed advice on the DG vs TG front when replacing. Went with TG which were approx 15% more expensive and never regretted it. Apart from the thermal considerations, as others have mentioned the noise insulation is superb.
Two other things which I got varying opinions on at the time were trickle vents and locking mechanisms which allowed the windows to be locked open (just a crack) with the alarm on.

Not sure we could afford to do both at the same time. Is it really that important to do them at the same time?

Was hoping the windows upgrade would improve things this winter and potentially external insulation the following winter.
If not doing them at the same time, then external insulation first would be better.

I've never heard of an external insulation installer moving windows forward to form part of the external envelope, and so they will be set back in the existing walls and cold bridging will mean the overall result is less effective.

If not doing them at the same time, then external insulation first would be better.

I've never heard of an external insulation installer moving windows forward to form part of the external envelope, and so they will be set back in the existing walls and cold bridging will mean the overall result is less effective.

Our budget is €6K, €6.5 at a push so not sure external insulation is in budget at the minute. However might research somemore about doing it post new windows.

Is a u-value of 1.1 good for TG? Some companies are advertising 0.8 however not sure if that is in general or just specific circumstances, window sizes etc.

Our budget is €6K, €6.5 at a push so not sure external insulation is in budget at the minute. However might research somemore about doing it post new windows.

Is a u-value of 1.1 good for TG? Some companies are advertising 0.8 however not sure if that is in general or just specific circumstances, window sizes etc.

Also is 1.4 good for DG?

Beware, some TG windows are not as good as DG, so pay attention to the specs when deciding.
If the 0.8W/m2k figure is the u-value for the whole window (frame & glazing) then this would be considered quite good for TG units.
Sorry to jump in here but about to install triple myself and found a small company with good rep but who say the u value for their triple is around 1. I’m looking for 0.8 but they say they don’t see how some other companies are advertising 0.8 upvc triple glazed - in their view you’d need Aluclad frames to reach 0.7/0.8 - they suggest there is some trickery involved - any thoughts on that? DK windows and some others say they can do 0.8u value in upvc. Thanks

Sorry to jump in here but about to install triple myself and found a small company with good rep but who say the u value for their triple is around 1. I’m looking for 0.8 but they say they don’t see how some other companies are advertising 0.8 upvc triple glazed - in their view you’d need Aluclad frames to reach 0.7/0.8 - they suggest there is some trickery involved - any thoughts on that? DK windows and some others say they can do 0.8u value in upvc. Thanks
It never ceases to amaze me the amount of pure bs is used by sales people. I wonder who is using some trickery to flog windows in this instance!
That comment about aluclad is bull, I suggest.
The devil is in the detail here so look for and interrogate the certification paperwork on the windows. My advice is if certification detail is not easily forthcoming then keep looking.

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of pure bs is used by sales people. I wonder who is using some trickery to flog windows in this instance!
That comment about aluclad is bull, I suggest.
The devil is in the detail here so look for and interrogate the certification paperwork on the windows. My advice is if certification detail is not easily forthcoming then keep looking.

This.

We had it narrow down to two companies. Asked both to provide details on u-values, one was lower than the other for circa the same price so went with them. I am far from an expect however some quick googling and reading the paper work carefully put my mind at ease that I was getting what they were saying i was getting.

Back