double barreled Surname

frankde

Hi
We are thinking of using a double barreled surname for my Daughter; using a combination of my WIfe's surname and mine.
I currently live outside of Ireland and my wife is not Irish.
If my daughter was to relocate to Ireland in the future would a double barreled surname cause issues there?
Thanks

Just be careful in the ordering of the surnames to try to make it clear that it's two surnames, rather than two first names. As often times the hyphen goes AWOL.
e.g. if the surname can be confused with a firstname.

Just be careful in the ordering of the surnames to try to make it clear that it's two surnames, rather than two first names. As often times the hyphen goes AWOL.
e.g. if the surname can be confused with a firstname.
I had a customer in Scotland where there was a Martin Lee and a Lee Martin.

Hi
We are thinking of using a double barreled surname for my Daughter; using a combination of my WIfe's surname and mine.
I currently live outside of Ireland and my wife is not Irish.
If my daughter was to relocate to Ireland in the future would a double barreled surname cause issues there?
Thanks
I recall hearing that it’s better not to hyphenate the two last names.

I think it’s because the child then effectively has two last names rather than a single joined-up name which would be different from those of either of the parents.

I recall hearing that it’s better not to hyphenate the two last names.

I think it’s because the child then effectively has two last names rather than a single joined-up name which would be different from those of either of the parents.
What happens when two people with hyphenated surnames have a a child and decide to give that child a hyphenation of their surnames. Within a few generations they'll sound like royalty.

From the internet:

“Private Eye, that last surviving outpost of English common sense, has an ongoing series where readers submit imagined marriages to produce wonderful multi-barrelled surnames. My favourite: If Wanda Ventham had married Howard Hughes, divorced him and married Henry Kissinger, she’d be … Wanda Hughes-Kissinger now.”

I've noticed a trend regarding double-barrell surnames.
In the past it was the rich who used them now it's predominantly the poor. This is just my experience.

Back