Dorset St, D1

kitm

Hi, A friend is thinking about buying a 3-bed terraced house just off Dorset St. Is buying with a family member, with aim to sell in a few years, and will rent out 2 bedrooms in the mean time. Any thoughts on the area?
There's a lot of development going on in that stretch (regeneration plan for Dorset St, apartments on Canal bank and around Croke Pk) so it seems promising. And there aren't any corporation flats around it (which usually have to be considered for a central location). Are there any drawbacks that i'm missing?

kitm said:
And there aren't any corporation flats around it (which usually have to be considered for a central location).
What's the significance of this?

If the property is near Croker then factor in the inconvenience caused on match/event days.

I come from Drumcondra/Glasnevin and would consider this a fine area. Perhaps a little too close to Summerhill for my liking, and I've never been keen on some of the newer apartments around the canal, but I would say that, to echo ClubMan, match days are your friend's biggest inconvenience.

Thanks for the reponses.
In making comment on the corporation flats was thinking of a property i recently viewed just off North Strand, behind a block of flats which, in the words of the EA "weren't going anywhere". So while some areas can become 'upwardly mobile', etc, the presence of corporation housing may be relevant.
Personally, there are some streets with large blocks of flats (e.g. Lower Dominick St) where i feel less safe than on the next street along.

kitm said:
behind a block of flats which, in the words of the EA "weren't going anywhere".
What does this EA speak gem mean?
Personally, there are some streets with large blocks of flats (e.g. Lower Dominick St) where i feel less safe than on the next street along.
Perhaps your perceptions are not in line with reality so? I worked in Lower Dominick Street for a total of about 8 years in two stints (late 80s-early 90s and late 90s-early 2000s) and never experienced any hassle of inconvenience in the area. Admittedly the street is a bit grim but Dublin City Council have done a nice job on the new flats on Upper Dominick Street and seem to be preparing for a mjor overhaul of the Lower Dominick Street ones.

I've lived not too far from O'Devaney Gardens for the past 10 years and have had no hassle there either and the proximity of these Council flats hasn't had any obvious impact on property values in the surrounding areas. Those flats too are due for a major overhaul - and not before time.

Hi, I grew up in the area so I know it very well...Its brilliant in terms of proximity to the city and to local amenities such as schools, hospitals, shops etc. It is very well served by public transport and locals can't wait for the regeneration of the Dorset Street area, its long overdue...There are one or two streets that I would NOT want to live on though and I say that because I have lived in the area, my parents have always lived in the area and I know what some of these streets are like at night in terms of noise disruption and hassle created by some local residents......

So Kitm if you want to IM me the general location of the street, I'd be happy to comment privately if you like...

Just IMed you with some info on the area you mentioned...Good luck with your decision...

I think its a great area - my sister used to live there and, being keen GAA fans, the whole family used to arrive for a late breakfast on match days - great fun entirely! You're really close to the city centre and the area is improving greatly - I suspect the redevelopment of the Mountjoy prison site will further enhance the surrounding area. Should have no problem renting a room either - DAFT reports strong rents for the Dublin 1 area.

BTW did anyone notice the HUGE sign the Corpo put up announcing the new APPARTMENT (sic) development on Lower Dorset St:D They have now corrected it!

Hi. We bought a house just off Dorset St this summer, and love the area. Really central, and getting very diverse and buzzy. Moore St/Parnell St are full of interesting shops, restaurants and pubs. Phibsboro shopping centre - which is woefull - is due to be re-developed too. I would agree about the Croke Pk points: I didn't realise that there would be parking problems virtually every Sat and Sun from May to September. But seeing all the people up for the match is nice. You might note that, if the government ever make up their mind, the Mater may be in for a major re-development which might be worth bearing in mind: possible long-term building disruption. I think that if you live in the inner city you will encounter more people with drink/drug problems than in the suburbs, perhaps because there are more cheap flats, more pubs, it is more annonymous, etc. I haven't found it a problem, but have lived centrally for years and am used to the nature of the city centre. Try wandering around the area for a few nights and see what you think before making up your mind. I love it - but everyone is different.

suds said:
You might note that, if the government ever make up their mind, the Mater may be in for a major re-development which might be worth bearing in mind: possible long-term building disruption.
Ditto for The Joy and Dalyer (I hope! :eek:) in conjunction with the SC revamp.

St Joseph's Parade between Eccles St & Dorset St had 3 sales December 05 / Jan 06. Wee cottages that are either lovely or dreadful. I walked around there 8 p.m. and 11 p.m. on different nights – quiet as u like. You will have to beg the auctioneer on bended knee to ring you. All 3 auctionners promised, all 3 houses sold, none rang me back.

I lived here for couple of years and yes, it's an incredibly convenient location but it's still quite rough. Even making allowances for the very urban nature of the place, there were at least a couple of murder scenes within sight of my front door, another few suicides, and post-pub street brawls were fairly regular at weekends. Drugs and homelessness are also major features of the street life.
Obviously many people see this as the inevitable downside of living so close to the city centre - personally I think the prices in the area are quite high to have to take all this into account.

Back