Dorling Kindersley software requires 3MB memory

zoe

I've installed a Dorling Kindersley CD on the PC and when I try to run the program it states "This program requires at least 3MB of free virtual memory to run." and so won't run the program.

Any ideas why this might be? Might there be some problem with the CD that is causing this as the PC is only 2-3 years old so has plenty of memory. I've never seen this stated before with any other program.

Thanks

Are you sure the cd supports your version of windows ?

Thanks. Good point.

I just checked the box and it states "For XP this product requires an Administrator account".

I have XP installed, and it's my home PC I've installed it on.

What is meant by Administrator account?

Originally a well-respected publisher of educational books, they've had a range of educational software titles for the last 20+ years, originally Mac-only buit now for Windoze as well.

for example

If you go to 'start - settings - control panel - system - advanced - performance - advanced'

you'll find the virtual memory (page file) setting and you can increase the virtual memory. 3MB sounds very low.

Thanks Hoagy.

I went there on the PC and it states;

Paging file size for selected drive

Drive: C

Custom size:
Initial size (MB): 1536
Maximum size: 3072

Total paging file size for all drives

Minimum 2MB
Recommended: 1533 MB
Currently allocated: 1536 MB

Restart the machine, make sure all programs are closed and try re-installing. Maybe there was some memory hog running the last time you tried.

Failing that, I'd ask Dorling for support.

Restart the machine, make sure all programs are closed and try re-installing. Maybe there was some memory hog running the last time you tried.

Just done that, but no luck.

Actually, I just noticed that the original message which states:

"This program requires at least 3MB of free virtual memory to run"

is in reference to a program named "Director Player 6.0".

That seems to be a common problem , see [broken link removed]

You'd be safe enough increasing the max size of virtual memory, all it's doing is reserving space on the hard drive.

Thanks for the link Hoagy,

that seems to have gotten rid of the original message about "This program requires at least 3MB of free virtual memory to run".

Now what's happening is it's bringing up a message which states:

Problem opening
“C:\DOCUME~1\user\LOCALS~1\Temp”.

Then when I click "ok" it states:

Script error: Handler not defined

#DFWINSTL

That seems to be a common one also

Global Software have a page about it here.

Sounds like buggy software.

Back