Doors & saddle boards

Juliel

New house being built. Have a different carpenter for the second fix to first fix. We don't wand saddle boards downstairs but carpenter says we have to. We are going to put in wood floors and the opening height is 80.25". Anybody got any advise?

New house being built. Have a different carpenter for the second fix to first fix. We don't wand saddle boards downstairs but carpenter says we have to. We are going to put in wood floors and the opening height is 80.25". Anybody got any advise?

I'm no expert but I don't see why you would have to have them?!

Has the work been left in such a way so as to allow for them - and therefore it's very awkward not to put them in maybe?

Seems strange to me. Our house originally had saddle boards, all removed now as we layed timber flooring. We don't like saddle boards and aside from possibly blocking a draft I don't understand why they are needed !

Please post his reasoning when you get an answer from him.

We're replacing all the flooring downstairs with bamboo, just one new doorway going in, the others will all be re-used. And I can tell you, our saddleboards are GOING! I hate the things. And if any carpenter told me I had to have them I'd be getting a new carpenter.

Would it be anything to do with the flooring changing direction from one room to another, or are your doors to short to go without door saddles?

I have no door saddles where I have tiled floors, but where my tiled floor meets with timber floor I have saddle boards. Upstairs where all the floors are solid wood I have door saddles as the direction changes from the hall to the bedrooms.

If you go shopping for doors you will find that the tallest door you can buy off the self is 80 inches, because you have more than that , the carpenter is worried about the gap under the door if there wasn't a saddle.

the 80.5 inches is probably prior to the wood floors
if the floors will be solid you could achieve a 90 deg joint at the door by using biscuit joints. ie no saddle or ugly brass strip. just leave adequate space for expansion at the opposite wall.

There is no need for saddle boards, if the door frame has not been cut to accomdate them? I was in Germany last weekend and never seen one, one month ago I have a german friend stay and they wondered why we need the staddle boards... it has me wondering to why not just cut the door to the height of the floor finish and put a jointing strip between abutting floor finishes?

joejoe

Back