Doors Opening Causing Damage

You should see the way they park in paris too, they think the front and back bumpers of cars are for just that..bumping into cars and nudging them forward and abck to get into tight spaces. Its unbelievable compared to other countries.

After your home, your car could be your most expensive purchase. If someone came into my house and damaged something, I would expect them to pay. Why should it not be the same for a car?

The woman who I caught banging her door off mine was driving a banger, full of dents, etc. My car was six months old and had cost 35,000. Why should it be ok for her to casually whack the door against it and then react like its ok.

There will be 2 schools of thought on this subject. You will either be into your cars and this drives you mad, or you will drive a car to the death and not care how bad it looks.

I actually squeeze out of my car like Caveat says to make sure I dont damage someone elses.

It's a simple lack of consideration whatever the reason, the days of leaving a note apologising and offering to pay for accidental damage are of course long gone. At the end of the day nobody dies but it is annoying, like others I always park well away from other cars but mine still has the telltale scratches on doors and wings.

I once got back to Gatwick airport from a business trip with a colleague who had parked his less-than-a-week-old Saab convertible in the long term car park, right at the top end miles away from any other cars. Of course we get back to it to find a manky people carrier parked about 12 inches from it in an otherwise empty car park, together with two telltale dings where the doors had been flung open, together with a lovely scratch where a bag or something had been left on the bonnet. I often think about how I'd love to have seen the faces of that family when they got back, hopefully from a very long, tiring and delayed journey, to find all four of their tyres completely flat.

SSE

The bottom line is; there must be some standard measurement that the designers use for car park, if they were large enough for a car with doors open there would no one hitting doors.

The bottom line is; there must be some standard measurement that the designers use for car park, if they were large enough for a car with doors open there would no one hitting doors.

There are architectural standards, but these haven't kept pace with the increasing size (particularly width) of modern cars. When we built our house we added on two metres to the length and width of our double garage over the standard.

In the UK a typical garage built up to the 70s is often only big enough to get a largish car in, opening the doors and getting out is impossible. Even modern housing developments have very tight spaces.

SSE

Wear and tear, simples. Obviously it's not nice when someone does it out of sheer stupidity or laziness or anything. But, you know, cars are designed to be used. Bits wear. Bits tear. Yes, you can fix them up, or like others you can leave them alone because they don't impact your ability to get from a to b.

If you are seriously concerned about the resale value (which is fair enough) then the car has been bought as part transport mechanism and part investment. If you are really serious about the investment element (stored value) then you must get pretty upset every time the car leaves the driveway. Roads are dirty places, full of little stones, cans, etc . . . all of which will take a toll on your vehicle body. It's an inevitable part of using the vehicle . . . wear and tear.

z

[broken link removed]

I don't own, nor drive a car. Yet I'm always extremely careful when getting out of a car, not to hit the one next to me. I think it's just rude in all honesty.

I'm always extremely careful when getting out of a car, not to hit the one next to me. I think it's just rude in all honesty.
Same as. It's just common courtesy, which isn't common at all any more. Accidents will happen, but some people just don't give a sh*t.

Same as. It's just common courtesy, which isn't common at all any more.
+1. It's about having a bit of respect for other people's property. It also never ceases to amaze me why people choose in an almost empty car park to squeeze in right beside another car -similar to some of the examples given here. :confused:

Yes, it's annoying. Yes, it's rude. No, it's not the end of the world.

You might go out for dinner with the missus and some friends and have a crap experience, blowing €100+ into the bargain. Money down the tubes. Will you worry and fulminate about that as much as you will worry and fulminate about a scratch on your car ?

z

Yes, it's annoying. Yes, it's rude. No, it's not the end of the world.

You might go out for dinner with the missus and some friends and have a crap experience, blowing €100+ into the bargain. Money down the tubes. Will you worry and fulminate about that as much as you will worry and fulminate about a scratch on your car ?

z

Yes. Because you see the dent every day. Your crap dinner experience ends up down the toilet never to be seen again.

Yorky; It can take the paint off, and then the Irish weather does the rest until you have a big rusty mark eating into you door.

I often think about how I'd love to have seen the faces of that family when they got back, hopefully from a very long, tiring and delayed journey, to find all four of their tyres completely flat.

SSE
Well done that man !!!

If possible, I always try to park next to the most expensive car I see because if they are less likely to bang their door off my car!

Last edited:
Yorky; It can take the paint off, and then the Irish weather does the rest until you have a big rusty mark eating into you door.

I took his meaning of bang in a car as being a more adult version!

Well done that man !!!

Well strictly speaking I kept watch while my colleague did the dirty. He was absolutely raging about it, it was all I could do to stop him ripping their wipers off. It's not as if the car park had filled up in the meantime and it was miles away from the bus stop, honestly it was ridiculous! Even worse they'd parked next to his driver's door, so he had to climb over the seats and he ended up putting a big footprint on the glovebox door! :D

SSE

Well people who don't want my door touching their fancy car should not park it so close to a car where there is a baby seat in the back. Sometimes it is physically impossible to get babies and toddlers out of the car without at least touching your door to the next car. Not to mention pregnant women trying to squeeze into cars.
What about the woman who roared at me for touching my door off her car trying to get the baby into the carseat, I said sorry I can't help it, she roars well you could have apologised - she was sitting in the front seat on the other side of her car and I didn't even know there was someone in the car.
Honestly people use some judgement and accept that it's going to happen sometimes the way parking spaces are.

Back