Doing a Family tree

Shawady

My wife is interested in compliling a family tree for her parents and was wondering the best way to approach it.

Has anyone done this before or know the best way to start?

Check out www.genesreunited.co.uk.
I've created one on there and it works well. You can sign up to send messages to other users, but if you just want to create a tree you can just sign up for free account. Also sends you matches that may or may not be related to other GenesReunited users - can be annoying if you have a relative called John Smith -- lots of them out there!!

There's lot of hints and tips as to were to look for family details.

If you look at the National Archives website you can get census information from 1911 for some counties (more coming online soon).

Jon

Last edited:
You don't need to pay the subscription. A free account will allow you to create a family tree.

Oh fair enough - the last time I used it, it was all subscription based.

I took mine down though because I kept getting contacted by a woman insisting she was related to a great-aunt of mine but her details didn't match. Every few weeks she would mail again like I was a different person! I was also concerned about identity theft - there's a lot of useful information on a family tree.

My sister and Daddy compiled a family book back in 2003 which started in 1832. They went on word of mouth and local info on the family. The book includes the family crest, family photos, newspaper articles and letters from the religious abroad etc. you would be surprised what people have stored away and they were only to glad to help. The book reads like a story over 70 pages long. They scanned in all the photos etc and printed it out themselves and had one leather bound for each household of the family. Its a fantastic book and my sister was only a teenager when they did it. There are letters/articles/photos in it I otherwise may never have got to read/see.

I only had it down last week from it's shelf when I wanted to show a picture of a young man in the family who died suddenly to my daughter.

Hope this is of interest to you.

A relative set up a collaborative website, so different branches of the family could update their own trees, with an integrated overall tree. He used some open-source package for this, which allowed adding photographs and links to the family tree entries, which worked pretty well.

Has anyone used "genebase dot com". If so, is it good or bad relative to others ?

As part of Heritage week 2009, Aug 22nd to Aug 30th...in Dublin anyway, some of the libraries have a talk on Genealogy and how to go about finding out about your family tree..I'm not sure if it's in other areas but if you check out the website.. http://www.heritageweek.ie/

As part of Heritage week 2009, Aug 22nd to Aug 30th...in Dublin anyway, some of the libraries have a talk on Genealogy and how to go about finding out about your family tree..I'm not sure if it's in other areas but if you check out the website.. http://www.heritageweek.ie/

Rosie,
Thanks for that. Sounds like one of those talks could be worth attending.

Back