Doggie problems

Well done, Igloo. I wonder if his nose was out of joint at being put out to the kennel. I know a dog who misbehaved after being brought into the house having been an outdoor dog previously. Poor thing thought he was being punished!

Igloo I suspect is that your retriever was protesting at having been forced to sleep outdoors (a dirty protest!). My old labrador started to poop on the patio, rather than down the garden, when I got a couple of new puppies last year, as her nose was put right out of joint for a few weeks.

If you think dogs don't sulk/protest think again - mine won't come near me for 2 days after I return from holiday etc. Or if she's feeling hard done by, she will chew something in the home.

Different dog foods contain different levels of protein etc. Young puppies need a meal with about 30% protein for growth. Older dogs need a lot less - unless they're greyhounds etc. A lot of cheaper dog foods are bulked up with cheap meal that is of no great use to them and can lead to overweight and large stools. I would recommend a food like Burns lamb& rice - its not as pricey as Hills but I've seen great results from it and reduced stool sizes as more of the food is absorbed by the dog.

My 2 younger dogs share a large crate at night and never foul their bed - though there were a few accidents until they were about 4-5 months old.

Most dogs require a daily walk/run for their physical and mental well-being.

Good luck.

Back