Dog licence (split from TV licence)

Re: Do I need a tv licence for my two week touring caravan holiday?

There's a licence for dogs??

I have 4 dogs!! :>

Dog Licences

In order to obtain a dog licence, you must be over 16 years of age. It is an offence for you to keep a dog unless you have a licence. All dogs over four months must have a licence. Puppies under four months who are still with their mothers don't require licences but once they leave their mothers they must have a licence. Your dog must be accompanied by and be under your effective control or the control of another responsible person if it is outside your home or premises or the home or premises of the person in charge of it. You can be requested by a dog warden to produce evidence of your dog licence and failure to do so can result in an on-the-spot fine. Failure to pay this fine within a specified period can result in prosecution by your local authority. Licences are not required for dogs in the possession of the County Council, the Irish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, Gardai, blind persons' guide-dogs, and any dog imported into the State for less than 30 days.

Dog licences are issued by your post office or your local authority. The revenue from dog licences finances the operation of dog control services in local areas throughout the country.

I cant understand why you would have to have a dog licence, what sort of signal would you get, what service do we get for said licence, I can understand TV licence the cost of program production etc, why should we pay for a dog licence? why?

Perhaps it covers the costs of the dog warden service?

Or the admin costs for issuing the licences?

RainyDay said:
Perhaps it covers the costs of the dog warden service?
Yes - especially when that's precisely what OASIS says as per my post above.
The revenue from dog licences finances the operation of dog control services in local areas throughout the country.

Anyone know what % of dogs are licenced.

I would imagine it is a negligible proportion licensed. I bought a license for our dog 7 years ago, but haven't a clue where it is! in the filing cabinet somewhere...

Anyway, like a lot of other forms of regulation, how is it policed. Do inspectors call door to door to check if you have one? unlikely. What I have heard anecdotally is that it is only if the dog is a nuisance that the issue of a license comes up...

I have a licence for my dog that I renew every year.
In 6 years that I live in my estate we have the visit on the dog warden once.

You do need a dog license which is annual renewal. We moved (and renewed at new address) but the dog warden called to out old address to follow up and "tracked" us to the new address to confirm the new license was for same dog and not another. I agree with having a dog warden service and it has to be self-supporting. Licensing makes owners responsible for their dogs, although it should be enforced across the board.

I bought a license for our dog 7 years ago, but haven't a clue where it is! in the filing cabinet somewhere...
If there are strange smells and barking noises coming from the filing cabinet, then yes, the doggy probably is in there.

If there are strange smells and barking noises coming from the filing cabinet, then yes, the doggy probably is in there.
Is it not like a tv licence once you buy one you are in the net and they send you a reminder when your licence expires.
My daughter got a demand for a tv licence in the post. She lives with me and I have a licence for the tv that we both watch. She phoned them up about it and they refused to say where they got her name and address. She finaly got them to state that she didnt need a tv licence because she was living at her home address which allready had a tv licence. What a waste of time and money.

Is it not like a tv licence once you buy one you are in the net and they send you a reminder when your licence expires.
My daughter got a demand for a tv licence in the post. She lives with me and I have a licence for the tv that we both watch. She phoned them up about it and they refused to say where they got her name and address. She finaly got them to state that she didnt need a tv licence because she was living at her home address which allready had a tv licence. What a waste of time and money.

We've received a reminder to renew our dog license every year. So, some kind of record is kept. It seems that a lot of people don't bother to get a license so I don't see how this can cover much of the cost of the dog wardens.

Yes, probably, although I'd be more in favour of the money being spent on campaigns to get people to neuter their animals, and to get people to consider adopting from pounds and rescues rather than buying purebred puppies as family pets. There are far too many unwanted animals around. Just picking them up and having them put down after 5 days doesn't seem to be having an impact on the problem at all.

I have a licence for my dog which I renew every year. I have never had a reminder from them to renew it.

I have no idea where the money goes because around where I live people just let their dogs out in the morning onto the street and I cant even walk my dog on his lead without fear of one of these dogs attacking it. (He is only a small dog). Dont get me started about the dog poo in the front gardens!! Grrr

I have to put my dog in the car and take him to the Phoenix park for a walk

Hi Sandra - Have you tried getting onto your local Dog Warden to get the issue of the strays resolved?

Back