Dog Licence - Does it prove ownership ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

allthedoyles

Would anyone know the answer to the following query?

A married couple have two dogs . The couple separate and wife takes the two dogs .

Husband wants one of the dogs back , but has to prove ownership.

Q1... Does the person that licenced the dogs actually own the dogs ? .

Q2... Can each person licence the dogs separately and claim ownership ?

The dogs are also insured in husbands name ................Does this mean anything ?

If they're pedigree breeds, they would be registered with the Irish Kennel Club under the owner's name. I'm not sure if licensing will prove anything; anyone can walk into a post office and get a licence for a dog. I know that I've never been asked for proof of ID or ownership - even when buying 2 licences, using 2 different names!

I know this isn't relevant to the OP's question, but just a thought ... how fair would it be on the dogs to separate them, if they've grown up together?

I imagine it would be the same as registering the birth of your child. The person who registers the birth, in the event of a separation, wouldn't necessarily give them the right to have sole custody of the child.

Proof of ownership would be (I would imagine) proof of who purchased the dogs, if sold through a pet shop or some other business.

The licence proves nothing.

I think it would be a bit cruel to split up the dogs personally if they've been together for years.

I would say if bought with cheque, credit card etc would prove ownership. Also possibly statement of person dogs were bought from stating who paid for them if it went to court.

I think it would be a bit cruel to split up the dogs personally if they've been together for years

+1

If the dogs are close friends, you will end up with 2 seriously depressed dogs pining for each other if separated

+1

If the dogs are close friends, you will end up with 2 seriously depressed dogs pining for each other if separated

Hello .............This is also a marriage break-up , that has caused this . it is not a mutual break-up either.

Yes ,the dogs are very close , and remain so . It would be so cruel to seperate them as well.

Anyway thanks for the sound advice above , and it looks like the dog licence means nothing , and it is actually the person that bought the dogs that claims ownership.

In this case , neither of the couple in question bought the dogs, they were a wedding present !

Jeez! The misery couples put themselves and all and everything around them through!

In this case I think they both own the dogs and if they can't decide, rationally and taking the pooches' best interests to heart, who will take custody of them then technically a Court could decide.

The alternative ( my preferred option!) someone, preferably a good friend of both, gives them both a good smacking, tells them to grow up and behave like adults rather than toddlers.

mf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back