dog digging holes in garden

kim

Hi

Im in the process of cleaning up my back garden after the hard winter, and down at the back wall the dog has dug a massive hole, just wondering what do I do to fill it in? I dont have any excess clay around

He has probably stashed a change of clothes and false identity papers nearby, so you'll need to locate and destroy these first. That should put an end to his escape plans.

LOL Complainer!

Seriously though, if you fill in the same hole the dog is going to think "wow great mum's filled my hole, so I can have hours of fun digging it back up again".

Perhaps a better bet would be to plant a new shrub/tree in the hole and tell him in no uncertain words to "leave" - you have to break his association of joy with this hole. Maybe also block it off for a while. Even then chances are he'll probably just start his digging elsewhere.

I have a garden full of dog holes, and they always return to the same ones. I know if I filled them in with clay, they wouldn't last an hour never mind a day.

Your dog is bored, that's why he is digging. Depending on what you want to do where the hole is, you can buy a bag of top soil and fill it. However, your dog is likely to have a go at it again.

Hi

Im in the process of cleaning up my back garden after the hard winter, and down at the back wall the dog has dug a massive hole, just wondering what do I do to fill it in? I dont have any excess clay around

Hit him over the head with the shovel and throw him into the hole. that will solve both problems.
1. It'll stop him digging.
2. He'll fill the hole.

I've heard if you put some of their poo in they won't go near it - problem is (as happened to me when mine was a pup) she just went a dug another one!!!

What type of dog do you have Kim? Terriers tend to dig a lot more than other breeds but your dog may be digging cos they're bored - as already suggested.

You have a couple of options:-
1. Live with it!!
2. Create an area where your dog can dig freely and hide treats etc in there to persuade them to only dig in that one spot

I would say that planting shrubs/plants there would only encourage your dog to destroy your plants next, especially if he/she likes that spot to dig.

Found this on the net, might be useful

Put an air filled water ballon into the hole and cover it with clay. When the dog goes to dig again the balloon will pop, the dog will get a fright and this will discourage him from digging hole again. Repeat if neccessary.

I've a 10 month old Dobermann and so far she ruined the front and back lawn, had planned on having the back lawn drained and relaid in March but the contractor has told me to leave it til she's older in the hope that she'll stop digging!!! Any suggestions???

Back