Does Step Back Insurance converts Named Driver Experience into NCB

gg66

I've got 10 years named driver experience but zero No Claims Bonus.

I've been told that if I take out Step Back Protection my NCB will be 3 to 5 years after 1 year insured.

I have to admit, I don't get this at all, I'd be very grateful if anyone can shed light on this.

thanks

Never heard of this before. You won't be entitled to a earned bonus but some Insurance Companies will allow you a year for year introductory bonus which in essenec works the same as an earned bonus - only some companies mind

This makes no sense.
Step Back protection means that if you have a claim you go from having 50% NCB to 40% or 30% NCB depending on the policy/company.
As you only have Named driver Experience this does not apply to you. You have probably been allowed a full 50% discount becauser of your named driving but this cannot be protected AFAIK.Step Back is only applied to an earned NCB (i.e. someone who has a policy in their own name for 5 years with no claims).
Step back protection costs money so don't buy it until you have 3 years earned NCB or you are wasting your money. Get back onto the company again as either you were misinformed by someone who didn't know what they were talking about, were being ripped off by paying for something you didn't need or misunderstood what they were telling you.

Maybe a little off track but if you are now going to take out insurance in your own name then try contacting One Direct and FBD.

I had 3 years named driver with FBD and 1 year NCB under my own policy. When renewing late last year FBD offered me 4 years no claims as did One Direct. So they both offered to give me an extra year for each of my named years.

Made my day, saved about 500 on my insurance.

Back