Does anybody check Supermarket Receipts

Black Sheep

Over the last six weeks I have been overcharged every time I shopped in that supermarket (largest supermarket in the country) The overcharge ranged from €1 to over €10 on one item alone. Surely the supermarket is cleaning up on less vigilant customers. It's just not possibe that I am the only one.

They don't seem to care when I show up week after week for my refunds. I've reported this to supervisers & managers and they just shrug shoulders and I'm made to feel a nuisance for being overcharged in the first place. Has anybody had the same experiences!!!!!!!!

I honestly don't have the time to check them - as I dont always remember what price was on the shelf for it. Sounds like it's worth doing though.

I normally have a rough estimate of what the total should be, to within a couple of Euros.

I normally pay closer attention to any 3 for 2 or similar offers, occasionally they haven't been picked up at the till.

Recently I bought a Vileda mop and bucket that was supposed to be 15.99 and was charged 15.99 plus 11.99 or something as not all the mops had the same barcode number. I got the money back at customer services.

Like you I don't normally have the time to check the whole list but a quick scan before leaving the shop usually works. The areas to watch seem to be anything that has been reduced and appears as special offer.ie Roast beef 33% off, shampoo Buy one Get one free. Breads seem to be the major problem, buy a few small rolls and you are charged for the larger ones.

It's not really so much the overcharging that bugs me as the rip-off factor which appears to be deliberate. Why is it that when I buy the larger rolls I never get charged the smaller ones

I've started keeping an eye on the club card points since someone on AAM complained about them not being applied by Tesco. I haven't noticed it yet.

Special offers for multiple items are worth checking as there are many ways the it could go wrong when being rung through. I tend to assume they will mess it up until proven otherwise.

I regularly get refunds from Tesco for overcharging plus the item for free. It can be quite lucrative....for me that is, for checking my receipt. A regular occurence is when I purchase their 4 for €3 finest range of yogurts in two lots. Their computer often only applies the discount for one lot of 4 but doesn't apply it to the second lot.

Some branches of Dunnes operate the 'getting the item for free if you were overcharged' scheme but others appear not to or try to hide the option.

I started a while ago checking the receipts before leaving the store as I regularly find mistakes.

One very annoying thing with Dunnes is where you are shopping late at night and their customer service desk closes before the supermarket. If there is an overcharge they tell you to come back the next day.

Have checked Dunnes points system in the past and their's appears to be fairly accurate.

One quite amusing overcharge some years back was when the checkout girl who was new, decided to charge individually for chocolate bars which are normally priced at 10 for €1.79. Whatever way she put them through the till the total cost was in the region of €13 or €14 :eek:

Over the last six weeks I have been overcharged every time I shopped in that supermarket (largest supermarket in the country) The overcharge ranged from €1 to over €10 on one item alone. Surely the supermarket is cleaning up on less vigilant customers. It's just not possible that I am the only one.

What kinds of overcharges are you seeing? Incorrect prices? Incorrect quantites? Discounts not applied?

Roast beef reduced by 33% (now €7.98 per KG) charged @ €17.10 per KG.

Shampoo - Buy one get one Free, Bought 4 bottles was charged for 3 (instead of 2)

Bread rolls - bought the small size - was charges for larger size 6 times.

Oranges €1 off - was charged full price

If you require any more examples I have plenty but I'm sure you've got the gist

Some branches of Dunnes operate the 'getting the item for free if you were overcharged' scheme but others appear not to or try to hide the option.

Unlike Tesco, it's discretionary within Dunnes if you get the item for free. They don't have a policy of automatically giving it free and it is usually down to the employee you get to deal with. In my local Dunnes I know exactly who to go to and who not to go to for my refund. :)

One very annoying thing with Dunnes is where you are shopping late at night and their customer service desk closes before the supermarket. If there is an overcharge they tell you to come back the next day.

Don't let them away with that. In my local Dunnes refunds are looked after by a member of the EPOS team. Failing that there is always a duty manager in the store who has the authority to refund you.

Unlike Tesco, it's discretionary within Dunnes if you get the item for free. They don't have a policy of automatically giving it free and it is usually down to the employee you get to deal with. In my local Dunnes I know exactly who to go to and who not to go to for my refund. :)

Yeah, seems erratic alright.

Don't let them away with that. In my local Dunnes refunds are looked after by a member of the EPOS team. Failing that there is always a duty manager in the store who has the authority to refund you.

Its very annoying and probably a tactic to put people off.

I gave up shopping in Tesco, as 3 out of 4 times it would be a trip from the till to the Customer service desk for a rigmarole about a BOGOF or special offer which didn't show up on my receipt.

I started a while ago checking the receipts before leaving the store as I regularly find mistakes.

Have checked Dunnes points system in the past and their's appears to be fairly accurate.

One quite amusing overcharge some years back was when the checkout girl who was new, decided to charge individually for chocolate bars which are normally priced at 10 for €1.79. Whatever way she put them through the till the total cost was in the region of €13 or €14 :eek:

In my local dunnes they won't give the item free, ever. Also If an item does not scan again you won't get it free. They simply close the checkout while they run off to find a similar item to scan. They leave you standing there like a pillock with everyone in the queue glaring at you because of their not having that item in the system.

I check every reciept before I leave the shop if possible - went through a phase years ago where I'd get home from Tesco & seemed to be overcharged for something & it's really hard to prove a week later. I find since they brought in the policy that they will give you the item for free, it doesn't happen as often & if it does, they seem to recitify the problem very promptly.
No sooner had they largely sorted this out & Suoerquinn started doing special offers and I was constantly overcharged (I go for offers & these seem to be a big problem with them). Eventually got so bad (overchaged by about €25 or so one week) and I kicked up a huge stink and got a gift voucher - but the problems didn't stop, so I pretty much stopped shopping there. My big gripe with Superquinn is that they send you off to customer service, who then has to call someone, who goes to check the offer, then you have to get a credit note and queue at a till to get MY money back (they only refund the difference). This usually takes the best part of 15mins to sort - got sick of complaining so I stopped shopping there.

For me I live just 3 minutes from a large Tesco so it suits me to shop there so I don't intend to move at present as they don't seem to give a fiddlers whether I shop there or not. I seem to be their most frequent obstacle standing like a statue at their customer desk waiting for refunds.

We're having a party at the weekend so I was thinking of buying about 4 dozen of those small rolls that they are so happy to overcharge me for and collect my refunds.

I wonder if the same would work for the booze!!!!!!!!!!

I always bring my calculator shopping with me. It takes a little more time but very helpfull. No surprises at the till and you notice any mistakes straight away. Since christmas I have noticed i have been overcharged about 6 times. Smallest amount: 4.75, largest 13.49 so its actually quite a lot not just a few cents

In my local dunnes they won't give the item free, ever. Also If an item does not scan again you won't get it free. They simply close the checkout while they run off to find a similar item to scan. They leave you standing there like a pillock with everyone in the queue glaring at you because of their not having that item in the system.

Same in my local tescos, except if the item doesn't scan, they sit on their backsides and drawl "I can't sell you that, it's not scanning" and put it under their counter, and they will refuse point blank to a) get another item that does scan b) let you get another item yourself that will scan c)call a manager who can input the item to the system so it will scan or d) give you the item for free. Needless to say I have complained many times but have been met with a shrug of the shoulders from managers too, so I don't shop there anymore.
A previous tescos I used to shop in (about 100 miles away from where I live now so can't go back doing the weekly shopping there!) used to give you the item for free if it scanned incorrectly. I remember being charged 23.99 for a packet of rashers (that were retailing for 2.39) and 50 for a bottle of shampoo that was supposed to be 5. Cue much fawning and refunding and handing over of said goods for free. Why the disparity between branches of the same store?

as to the original question, yes I always check receipts due to the previous experiences of being charged 50 quid for a bottle of shampoo! I tend to watch the items as they scan through, however, and have a quick look to make sure any special offers are effected at the bottom of the receipt.

I checked my receipt after shopping in Dunnes yesterday and it turned out I was undercharged. An item didnt scan in at the checkout (Maybe one reason to chat up the girls at the check out and distract them ,lol). Seriously, It feels kinda weird that I walked out of the store with an item that wasnt paid for even though it wasnt my fault. Can the cashier get into trouble for this ? I feel like going back and paying up. Or do I automatically get that item for free as some posters said ?

I checked my receipt after shopping in Dunnes yesterday and it turned out I was undercharged. An item didnt scan in at the checkout (Maybe one reason to chat up the girls at the check out and distract them ,lol). Seriously, It feels kinda weird that I walked out of the store with an item that wasnt paid for even though it wasnt my fault. Can the cashier get into trouble for this ? I feel like going back and paying up. Or do I automatically get that item for free as some posters said ?
Well would you have gone back if you were overcharged?? The same rules should apply I would think (but thats my own opinion!)

Back