Does an unpaid holiday affect your holiday entitlements.

hacker

I started a new part time job in September 2011 (20 hours p/w) and as I already had a weeks holidays booked my new employer allowed me to take a week off unpaid early October. However my supervisor informed me last week she owes me 1 days holiday for 2011 and will give me a day off in the new year. I didnt query this with her at the time as I presumed my other holiday hours would be used to cover Christmas Holidays but when I got my payslip for this week I am getting paid for the bank holidays only. I checked my contract and it states for holidays I am entitled to 8% of hours worked. by my calculations based on hours worked I am entitled to approx 20 hours holidays for 2011. I will query this with her when we are back to work but I want to be sure I am correct as I presume as the weeks holidays was unpaid it should not affect my entitlements.

If your contract states 8% of hours worked then that is what you are due. Obiovusly you do not calculate the week which was unpaid. Maybe she made a mistake and thought it was paid?

Generally speaking you don't accrue annual leave if you are on unpaid leave.

However provided you have worked a minimum number of hours in the leave year (1365 if memory serves me), you are entitled by law to the minimum of 20 days annual leave, regardless of unpaid leave taken.

Having spoken to my supervisor I have accrued over 25 hours holidays based on 8% of hours worked in 2011. I have to take the time off over the next while. My fault should not have presumed the hols would have been used to cover christmas. Every business has their own way of doing things. Thanks for the replies.

Back