Dodgy Car Dealer

B

BlueToes

A foolish friend bought a car from an individual who sells used cars from his house. Within about an hours driving the engine developed a major fault and after a visit to a mechanic he was told the car is a heap, in terrible condition underneath and shouldnt be on the road. To make matters worse the car is UK reg and my friend was to sort out the VRT.

Does anyone know if he has any comeback on this, the "dealers" line is it was fine when he sold it, and claims not to be a dealer although he has a sales website and a registered business name. He has become quite agressive and hangs up when contacted.

The guy is impulsive and was foolish to buy the car but can it even legally be sold on without having the VRT paid.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated on how to handle this or where to go from here.

oh god..got to say theres a lot of dishonest people out there...if u can let us know who , or maybe the name of that business so other can avoid.

BlueToes said:
Any advice would be greatly appreciated on how to handle this or where to go from here.

Your friend should be able to take action through the Small Claims Court against the dealer as it could hardly be described as a transaction between private individuals.

I got stung quite badly myself a few years ago - shady character in Cork - well known for his poor quality cars. Subsequently, I will NEVER buy privately or from a small outfit again. Main dealer and def. memebers of SIMI. SIMI have a complaints procedure for members [broken link removed]

Your friend will have to stand his ground. Write a letter requesting a receipt. If he's as dodgy as this, I would question whether his tax affairs are in order. Advise him that you will be getting a Motor Assessor to look at the car. Perhaps offer him the opportunity to get his own independent assessment. When you have the report from the Assessor send it on by post and offer him the opportunity to either repair or replace the car as per the Sale of Goods & Supply of Services Act, 1980. Send both letters by registered post and offer him 10days to respond. If this fails, send him a solicitor's letter. You should get a result at this stage. The dealer will probably take his call during this time and your friend must insist that he will take this all the way. Advise that it's in the dealers best interest to resolve this ASAP because he will be hiring a car until the matter is resolved and the dealer will be liable for all costs incurred.

I got stung quite badly myself a few years ago - shady character in Cork - well known for his poor quality cars. Subsequently, I will NEVER buy privately or from a small outfit again.

I'm suggesting this may be a little short sighted.

The best deals available in Ireland are for nearly new cars, being sold privately, with a manufacturers warranty.

I'd never buy privately, but after finding out that were I bought my last car was done for 'clocking' a few months ago, I'd say be very wary of anywhere but the main dealers.

you serious mate? clocking is a serious offence...the seller is liable for porsecution...

Back