Do you know your neighburs?

There are some good posts on here and some people have integrated into their new place of living. Then there are those wet-day drips who dont want to know anybody and dont want anybody to know them. Thats fine but wouldn't it be better to have a friendly appearance than one of I dont-wanna-know-you-whether-you-wanna-know-me-or-not.

Somebody asked how many telephone numbers you should have of your neighbours. Well common sense is the answer here. Use your brains.

Nobody likes alarms ringing constantly. But, it happens. We dont want people parking their cars on double yellow lines or breaking red lights, but these happen. All of us cannot go through life with no upset along the way. Get over it, smile, share your friendship and cop on (English newspapers, please copy).

Nobody likes alarms ringing constantly. But, it happens. We dont want people parking their cars on double yellow lines or breaking red lights, but these happen. All of us cannot go through life with no upset along the way. Get over it, smile, share your friendship and cop on (English newspapers, please copy).

Seriously, you clearly have never been on the end of a house alarm ringing for days upon days on end with no sign of the owner. This is a little bit different from someone breaking a red light, the act of which lasts for max 2-3 secs.

People who treat their neighbours with a little bit of respect in the first place are the only ones worth knowing. Who wants to get to know someone who couldn't care less whether their actions make your life a misery.

A thought struck me as I had to collect another parcel from the collection office, but is there a correlation between lack of neighbour integration and when An Post stopped leaving packages with neighbours? I remember not a million years ago never having to go to the sorting office as it was always left with a neighbour.

Anyway, I'm in a new estate and it took a while to go beyond just the smiles and nods, but it got there eventually. I think in a broader context beyond just the immediate neighbors, someone set up a Facebook group for the estate and I think that's helped a lot.

Events are now well organised and quickly so. Even better for me was the directory of different trades on the estate, real handy for some jobs.

Of course not everyone's that involved, but I think now after 6 or 7 years, people are settled and there's a growing community spirit.

The more I read this thread the more I am losing confidence in what Ireland is turning in to. Like I already said there are some Drips of people on here (get offended if you wish, but the truth is the truth). You Drips are developing social problems for yourselves and will transfer onto your offspring that is if you can acquire a partner with your limited social skills.

Wake up, life is good, there is a world waiting to be explored out there. Be a part of it. Leave inhibitions behind and get involved in something local and live life and dont be governed by somebody's house alarm.

You Drips are developing social problems for yourselves and will transfer onto your offspring that is if you can acquire a partner with your limited social skills.

I think that you have an underlying nastiness that you are masking with your false Bon Ami.

People who treat their neighbours with a little bit of respect in the first place are the only ones worth knowing. Who wants to get to know someone who couldn't care less whether their actions make your life a misery.

I agree 100%.

During the Big Freeze last winter I organised an outside barbeque evening on our road.
All it took was one leprous Paddy who went out on the frozen road and lit a barbeque,

So you only got to know your neighbours last winter? I have known mine for years.

Then there are those wet-day drips who dont want to know anybody and dont want anybody to know them. .............. Use your brains................ Get over it....... and cop on

Good Lord. If you think this about other posters on AAM who have a different view to you, what do you think about those people who didn't turn up for your Bar B Q.

The more I read this thread the more I am losing confidence in what Ireland is turning in to. Like I already said there are some Drips of people on here (get offended if you wish, but the truth is the truth). You Drips are developing social problems for yourselves and will transfer onto your offspring that is if you can acquire a partner with your limited social skills.

Wake up, life is good, there is a world waiting to be explored out there. Be a part of it. Leave inhibitions behind and get involved in something local and live life and dont be governed by somebody's house alarm.

I can't say I'd fancy having you as a neighbour, with your judgmental attitude and self congratulatory back slapping.

I helped a neighbour today, and then the chit chat revealed theyre moving out. Back to the drawing board!

Saturday morning 8.30 a.m. and our inconsiderate neighbour just let their dog out to bark in their back garden. Some of us might like a lie in on a Saturday. This happens quite often. I'm not sure that I want to be friendly with these unaware people.

I can't say I'd fancy having you as a neighbour, with your judgmental attitude and self congratulatory back slapping.

I think Leper has a point though. A few old people have told me in recent years that they are sad we lost our sense of community in the last 10-15 years. I think its worse in urban areas. People became self sufficient and self absorbed and the tall poppy syndrome became the norm amongst neighbours.

Saturday morning 8.30 a.m. and our inconsiderate neighbour just let their dog out to bark in their back garden. Some of us might like a lie in on a Saturday. This happens quite often. I'm not sure that I want to be friendly with these unaware people.

I'd say the dog might have needed more than a bark if he was locked in all night, 8.30 isn't that bad in fairness.

During the Big Freeze last winter I organised an outside barbeque evening on our road. It was a great success, people came in coats, duffel coats, eskimo gear etc.

I hope that there were lots of summer BBQ's from your new friends to reciprocate your kind deed and that someone else will organise this years event and not leave it to you again.

You can pick your friends but not your neighbours. In the country it is different because families are on the land for years and know each others history.
In the city someone moves in to the estate and you dont know anything about their background. Try and be the nice welcoming neighbour and the next thing you find that Larry Murphy is your new neighbour or some person released after doing a stretch for drugs possession, child abuse etc etc.

Try and be the nice welcoming neighbour and the next thing you find that Larry Murphy is your new neighbour or some person released after doing a stretch for drugs possession, child abuse etc etc.

Yeah better off not speaking to anybody ever.... ya just never know! :rolleyes:

When my son was younger I knew a lot more people, as there were plenty of children around his age. Most of them seem to have moved away now. I know a lot of people to say hello and exchange pleasantries but I only really talk to the man next door, who has some health problems so we help him out when needed.

I used to get on well with the people on the other side but after she opened a creche/childminding service we have had to put up with the parents parking across or sometimes on, our driveway while collecting or dropping off, leading me to complain to the parents and herself on numerous occassions, it has somewhat soured that relationship!

I think Leper has a point though. A few old people have told me in recent years that they are sad we lost our sense of community in the last 10-15 years. I think its worse in urban areas. People became self sufficient and self absorbed and the tall poppy syndrome became the norm amongst neighbours.

Don't get me wrong. I think its a shame that so many people nowadays lead such self contained lives and don't know their neighbours. It was Leper's comments I was objecting to.

I live in a modern estate and to be honest, if you don't have children you kind of get a feeling that you don't really belong. The only people I see mixing together are parents on the green with their small kids. I would love to move to a road where there was a better mix of age groups and lifestyles and more people who are at home all day and have an interest in the area. Unfortunately, with the current economic situation, that's not going to happen.

I'd say the dog might have needed more than a bark if he was locked in all night, 8.30 isn't that bad in fairness.

I don't agree. 8.30 on a Saturday morning is an unfair time to be creating noise and waking people up. If you choose to keep a dog its up to you to make sure its not bothering the neighbours unreasonably.

Saturday morning 8.30 a.m. and our inconsiderate neighbour just let their dog out to bark in their back garden. Some of us might like a lie in on a Saturday.

8:30 on a Saturday is a lie-in in my house :D !

When we moved in to our house 11 years ago, one neighbour had two dogs, one of which barked constantly whenever we opened our back door. The neighbour thought this was a great deterrent against burglars and a positive for her and her neighbours. We did not :mad:.

Last edited:
Back