Do traffic signals not apply to cyclists?

i've developed road rage from the attitudes of pedestrians and motorists in the morning as I cycle to work. even though there are bike lanes out of the city heading southside, taxis and buses frequently stop, park, open doors at any given moment in them and at any point.

our capital's buses are the worst - they actually want you to fall I'm convinced. i've had to swerve to avoid pedestrians with earphones in, mobiles on the go, crossing when the lights are red, jay walking between cars and just generally not paying attention. i've been shouldered by pedestrians to make me fall when they've been in the wrong and I'm sick of cars turning left at the last minute without looking in their rear mirrori'm pretty handy on a bike from years of racing and it is only that that keeps me alive and cycling in Dublin.

as for breaking rules of the road, generally i don't agree and I think its stupid when cyclists flirt with cars, break lights etc, but I do it just to get the jump on cars if I think there's no danger. the rain is obviously the worse time - cars break late and we have to be acrobats to avoid them - it takes ages to slow a bike down safely, a quick break and you're on the ground.

its a jungle out there - everyone thinks everyone else is in the wrong.

I've had a particularly stressful 24 hours! I've cycled ~20 miles like everyone else a pedestrian in between.

Tried to walk across the road at a zebra crossing, where the car had stopped for me, but the car behind decided to over take him, near hitting me.
Watched a car drive up a one way street with everyone getting annoyed at him.
Had a couple of the usual dodges around cars/pedestrians this morning (around 4 of note today)
But it was this evenings incident where a car pulled right out in to the cycle lane, forcing me to skid to a stop missing the car by inches. I'm still bulling, livid :mad: Never even heard my screams - not the usual verbal abuse, but real fear.

This was without even making it in to the city!

Phew, rant over!

I presume that all those motorists who are complaining about cyclists breaking the lights always stick rigidly to the speed limits around town - right? They wouldn't be so hypocritical to be selective about which rules of the road are to be complied with - right?

I've had a particularly stressful 24 hours! I've cycled ~20 miles like everyone else a pedestrian in between.

Tried to walk across the road at a zebra crossing, where the car had stopped for me, but the car behind decided to over take him, near hitting me.
Watched a car drive up a one way street with everyone getting annoyed at him.
Had a couple of the usual dodges around cars/pedestrians this morning (around 4 of note today)
But it was this evenings incident where a car pulled right out in to the cycle lane, forcing me to skid to a stop missing the car by inches. I'm still bulling, livid :mad: Never even heard my screams - not the usual verbal abuse, but real fear.

This was without even making it in to the city!

Phew, rant over!

Sounds like a regular old day to me.:eek:

I presume that all those motorists who are complaining about cyclists breaking the lights always stick rigidly to the speed limits around town - right? They wouldn't be so hypocritical to be selective about which rules of the road are to be complied with - right?

Hypocrital...nah, never :rolleyes:

Not all cyclists or motorists are perfect - there are mistakes on both parts.

I've recently been teaching my kids how to cycle on the road properly (signals etc).

Most motorists have been very courteous & given us loads of space when they have overtaken.

However, we did have a few scary moments. We were cycling one behind the other, suddenly hear "beep, beep, beep" & a car overtook us at speed and within cm's of us. We all got an awful shook, but luckily they all held their line. (unfortunately didn't get her number).

Car's need to be aware of cyclists & pedestrians & vice versa. But at the end of the day, the cyclists & pedestrians will come out worse if there is an accident.

On Wednesday I nearly got knocked down by a cyclist as I was crossing at the lights (it was green for pedestrians). I was really happy when she was then pulled over by the police.

I've recently moved from driving to cycling for days I'm working from home. Initially I cycled the 7km to town on the road, but on the first 5 journeys into town got swiped by cars 3 separate times. From there on in, I've used the path into town, and the road home. I stop at junctions, wait for light, and on the 1 piece of 1 way traffic on my route I walk and push the bike, but yes I am breaking the law.
If there was some consideration by drivers of other road users maybe I'd feel it was safe enough to cycle on the road, until then I'll keep my law breaking self safe from injury!

Sorry for ressurecting this thread but I have to give vent to my anger!

Three times this week I was going through junctions on my way home from work when cyclists cut through red lights and cycled in front of me. None of them were wearing arm bands or reflective jackets and as far as I could see none of them had lights on their bikes or if they had the lights were very weak. Two of the cyclists - although they were breaking the lights- were far enough away from me to be safe but the third guy was inches from being hit by my car and I had to break hard to avoid him. Of course if there had been a collission he'd have come off much worse. which leads me to my question - why do some cyclists think they can break lights and get away with it? And by the way I am very pro cyclist and realise they are taking their lives in their hands everytime they cycle - but why do some of them add unnecessarily to this risk?

Sorry for ressurecting this thread but I have to give vent to my anger!

Three times this week I was going through junctions on my way home from work when cyclists cut through red lights and cycled in front of me. None of them were wearing arm bands or reflective jackets and as far as I could see none of them had lights on their bikes or if they had the lights were very weak. Two of the cyclists - although they were breaking the lights- were far enough away from me to be safe but the third guy was inches from being hit by my car and I had to break hard to avoid him. Of course if there had been a collission he'd have come off much worse. which leads me to my question - why do some cyclists think they can break lights and get away with it? And by the way I am very pro cyclist and realise they are taking their lives in their hands everytime they cycle - but why do some of them add unnecessarily to this risk?

Because unlike other european countries the GArdai consistently fail to enforce road traffic law on cyclists.

Because unlike other european countries the GArdai consistently fail to enforce road traffic law on cyclists.
Just like they consistently rail to enforce the road traffic law on speeding motorists, and non-indicating motorists, and non-observant motorists etc etc.

My husband cycles to work every day - 45 mins each way. I admire anyone who will get on a bike and cycle in this city.

I get the bus into town and then walk down Stephens Green to work. It wrecks my head how many cyclists whizz by all of us walking on the large pavement from the Grafton St end to Merrion Row - are they allowed cycle there for some reason? Not to mention them breaking any lights I come to. On the way home, it's cycling the wrong way down Baggot Street lower that gets me - the path there is so narrow you have to walk on the road, there's just not enough space - but I always look behind me as chances are there's a cyclist about to zip up the road the wrong way. Drives me nuts.

M

Not all cyclists or motorists are perfect - there are mistakes on both parts.

I've recently noticed how many cars don't seem to understand the function of filter lights. They see one green arrow and think that means they can drive in any direction.

? I live in a continental European country and I can tell you for a fact that the police here enforce even less traffic laws on cyclists than in Ireland.

Back