Do teachers qualify for remote working tax credit?

imalwayshappy

Hi,

As the title suggests is a teacher able to claim the 3.20 per day last year when they were zooming etc? I don't see anything that suggests they can't. Is this one claim per household also does anyone know? My sisters husband works from home however his employer pays him the 3.20 per day. Can my sister also claim this tax relief? They are separately assessed in tax. Thanks!

There isn't now nor ever has been an ability to claim €3.20 a day.
Your employer may pay you €3.20 a day tax free.
If they don't,you may claim 10% of your electricity and gas bills and 30% of your broadband bill as a tax credit.
However,this is apportioned by the number of days actually worked from home.
So,let's say energy bills 2k,and bb 700 and 80 days wfh.
So 2k*10%*80/365(43.80) and 700*30%*80/365(46.00)
89.80 @40% =€35.92 refund.
Adjust the figures to suit,but in all honesty,it's barely worth it.
I don't know,but I'd guess you could only claim half if 2 of you are wfh.

I haven't heard of any PS employers paying the 3.20.

I did read that 5% of employers pay it.

The Department of Public Expenditure and reform has specified that no public servant will be paid the home working allowance.

There isn't now nor ever has been an ability to claim €3.20 a day.
Your employer may pay you €3.20 a day tax free.
If they don't,you may claim 10% of your electricity and gas bills and 30% of your broadband bill as a tax credit.
However,this is apportioned by the number of days actually worked from home.
So,let's say energy bills 2k,and bb 700 and 80 days wfh.
So 2k*10%*80/365(43.80) and 700*30%*80/365(46.00)
89.80 @40% =€35.92 refund.
Adjust the figures to suit,but in all honesty,it's barely worth it.
I don't know,but I'd guess you could only claim half if 2 of you are wfh.
If two people are WFH can they claim refund for one person or two? Married couple that is

I've a feeling I know the answer to this but anyway....could a married couple, jointly assessed, both WFH not claim the 10% each? Or, could they, but would have to be based on half of the bills so more or less the same as splitting the tax credit...

I've a feeling I know the answer to this but anyway....could a married couple, jointly assessed, both WFH not claim the 10% each? Or, could they, but would have to be based on half of the bills so more or less the same as splitting the tax credit...

It has to be apportioned between the spouses.

Yes as the bill is shared, you can claim the full 10% relief each but only for half the bill.

Back