Do most household insurance policies cover Smartphones?

Toby

Just wondering would a smartphone be covered by your household insurance policy for loss or damage in the house and out of the house. Obviously I'll need to check with my own insurer for confirmation but just looking for an idea. Thanks

I think you need to have it as a Specified Item on the insurance to have it covered outside of the home.

Hi Toby, most household insurers wouldn't cover mobile phones. You're generally better off talking to your provider and taking out cover through them. My iPhone is covered with Zurich through O2 but they declined to cover it directly through them.

Hope this helps. Bear

It may be an idea to check the excess on your policy. I think my policy has an excess of €500 so the excess is greater then the value of most smartphones.The irish Independent had the best deals on Gadget Insurance a couple of weeks ago http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/gadget-insurance-2841969.html

I just had a look at that gadgetinsurance website - conditions look awful to me - eg you're not covered for
- loss,
- water damage ,
- only covered up to 500 euro total on base level or 1000 total on premium ... so if someone breaks in and steal for example your iphone, ipad, laptop and two kids nds you will only be covered for a total of 1000 euro.
- theft of an unattended device from a public place ... so if you leave phone on the table for a minute in pub and it's gone when you get back from the bar you're fecked ....

i stopped reading !

your household policy won't cover your smartphone. Most wil prefer to see it insured elsewhere.

Back