Do I need to render a brick shed ?

alexandra123

Hello,

Just looking for some advice here.

I am short on space regards building a garden shed. The designer designed the shed to be attached to the boundary wall and side garden wall, which is not what I wanted as I am not allowed to add any structures to the boundary wall and I don't want to attach it to the side garden wall as it is part neighbours too. Now I have to add another 1.5 feet on either side to allow for the renderer to get behind the shed to render it. This means that the shed will be a bit too small.

I was wondering if I can leave out rendering on 2 sides and just render the other 2 sides. T, but I am worried about it getting damp etc.

Do you mean brick, as in red-brick, or concrete-block? Why not timber or metal sheds?

It is being built with cavity blocks. It is a bespoke shed design and I wanted blocks for durability + I wanted to put a stove in it.

You'll forever have damp problems if you don't render and moisture will just soak through cavity blocks.

You need to render it from a water ingress perspective. Also if you were to read the declaration of performance for the actual blocks, the manufacturer actually states that they should not be left exposed to the elements.

Can you not build just inside the boundary wall, and flash it at a height that directs the water to a small channel of some sort on your side of the boundary?

Back