Do I need an Architect?

kateLaila

Am planning an extension. 2 supporting walls involved. Have paid an architect for the concept phase. As it turns out the concept we going with is my own original suggestions and that is not because I did not listen to his ideas! There were only ever a few options which all involve compromise. I feel like I came up with the solutions. While I have the ideas for the various parts involved am not sure how to join it up - how to pull it all together and manage the project. Would I be as well with an engineer and a good builder. Do I need the architect to ensure the 'good builder' does a good job! Advice appreciated

In my opinion, yes, you need an architect. I've heard so many stories of people building houses and extensions and they are unhappy about low light levels, lack of "flow", access/egress issues, and invariably they've cut corners by not using an architect. Archtiects give the perspective of the occupant from a professional viewpoint.

Are you meaning do you need an architect to draw up the plans, or to oversee and manage the build?

I think it is better if you get an architect, It is always good to have professional help, most homeowners who build their own houses have regretted it later on. Always have a clear idea of what you want before you start the project. Most homeowners get disappointed after they complete building their homes because they weren’t clear with what they wanted at the beginning. Another challenge that you might face is site issues, each site is different and has its own challenges. So study your location thoroughly before you undertake the project and as always there is the money issue, this may seem pretty obvious but have a clear budget in mind. A properly trained architect could assist you and help you build a good home within your budget range.

Hi Ricardo,

1. "most homeowners who build their own houses have regretted it later" - Is this your opinion or fact? - source please, if fact.

2. "Most homeowners get disappointed after they complete building their homes" - Is this your opinion or fact? - source please, if fact.

3. "a properly trained architect could assist you and help you build a good home . . ." Is this your opinion? Would it be fair to insert "might or might not assist" instead of "could assist."

I have watched architects judge Home of the Year etc on television over the past few years. The one over-riding thing I picked up from the programmes is the participating architects ability to differ from other architects regarding what should be and what should not be. In fact, I reckon it would be difficult to find professionals to differ more.

Depending on a 3 or 4 wall extension with a relatively small area I wonder if paying an architect as against paying a draughtsman is a waste?

One other thing I have never seen any architect on television bring a project in under budget. Fact, all of the projects ran way over budget.

"One other thing I have never seen any architect on television bring a project in under budget. Fact, all of the projects ran way over budget."

From my own experience- a small terraced house but with a big garden- the architect saw possibilities that my very good builder said himself he would not have thought of that added hugely to our enjoyment and user of the house.

And yes, we went over budget. Why? There were things we didn't budget for that we could see made sense as we went along and , if you can afford it, better to do it during the build than to try and undo stuff for later.

And would I use an architect again? Without a shadow of a doubt. I can lawyer with the best of them but neither I or my other half have any design or spatial acumen and I now enjoy a living space that far exceeded my expectations.

Actually, it's far too good for likes of us.

mf

Back