Do I have to get Geothermal?

orcaborky

I was told at the weekend that Solar Panels would not be enough to get me through building regs and that I would need a Geothermal or equivalent green system, instead of a condensing oil burner which was my preferred choice. I intend to build a sip system home with a mechanical air system and hopefully a very low need for heating. My proposed house will be 247sqm with an attached garage of 22sqm, any advice appreciated.

generally a 247 sq m dwelling, at current building reg standards will comply with approximatly 6 sq m of solar collectors.... if you also use a dedicated wood burning stove as your secondary heating system....

without knowing the exact details id say thats a good bet.

You CAN meet your renewable requirement with a wood biomass burner itself...

unfortunately the renewable requirement is linked to the size of teh dwelling on a "per sq m" basis and not on an energy demand basis... so whether building airtight with sip or not doesnt come into it...

solar

, You can meet with solar and condensing oil but you really have to work hard with your ber assessor. i found that using wood burning stoves and 6.2m2 of solar that i was just able to meet the 10kw/m2 requirement. The dept of enviroment really should look at their figures as houses after the 2010 part L will soon start to be overheated with renewables.
Funny enough and going through the deap software that reducing the carbon coefficient and energy requirement through reducing heat losses, only had the effect of increasing the renewable requirement on the deap software.
hope these enforcers actually log on to the internet to see comments from home builders.

, You can meet with solar and condensing oil but you really have to work hard with your ber assessor. i found that using wood burning stoves and 6.2m2 of solar that i was just able to meet the 10kw/m2 requirement. The dept of enviroment really should look at their figures as houses after the 2010 part L will soon start to be overheated with renewables.
Funny enough and going through the deap software that reducing the carbon coefficient and energy requirement through reducing heat losses, only had the effect of increasing the renewable requirement on the deap software.
hope these enforcers actually log on to the internet to see comments from home builders.

the draft part L 2010 is already written.... no change to renewable requirement.... while epc and cpc both reduced by approx 40%

Back