Do guards need permission to talk to an under 12 year old child while with his parent

onlineprint

Does any one know if guards need permission to talk to an under 12 year old child while with his parent or parents

For what it's worth they do in a formal interview but this is not the forum for this post.

"TALK"
What do you mean talk. Hello nice day, how are you?? or question a 12 years old.
The parent's premission is required to interview\ question\take statement and the parent can ask to be present.

Remember but the guard can talk all he likes.It dosen't mean you have to answere him.

Basically I got stopped while driving by a local guards and while one was speaking to me the other went to the other door of my van where my 11 yr son was sittin and proceeded to start to talk to him. Now nothing much wrong with that but my question is Should they have first asked my permission BEFORE speaking to my son.

should he have been in your van's front seat if he was 11?
As you were there at the time it seems strange that YOU never asked the guard what law entitled him to speak to your son?

It was nothing to do with him being in my FRONT SEAT. I own a transit van and hence there are only 2 seats, 1 double passagner and 1 for driver. Where else will he sit :)

So can someone actually clarify for me if a guard needs a parents permission to speak to a child under 12 yrs of age, not interview him just speak to him

If this is an important issue for you, you should really be talking to your solicitor. If you intend to challenge a Garda on this point, you will need to be sure that what you say to them is correct. By definition, the opinions you get here are merely opinions. There is no guarantee that they are correct.

Why would a Guard need permission to talk to anyone? As you said yourself you were present while the Guard was talking to your son and you had no problem with it..Its not as if he was interviewing him in relation to anything is it? If he were that would be a different matter where it would be inappropriate at best without talking to you first. Maybe he was just having a friendly chat/being sociable/projecting a friendly image of the force to a young person?

Back