Do FAS Apprenticeships qualify for 'Back to Education Allowance'

milly123

Hi,

My husband has been unemployed for 3 months now. A friend (qualified electrician, self-employed) has agreed to take him on as an apprentice and train him up, but cannot afford to pay him. I suppose he is doing it as a favour, as this is something my husband really wants to do.

I can't see to find the answer on the fas or welfare office so was hoping someone here might know if this will qualify under the 'Back to Education Scheme' whereby he will continue to receive his dole or an amount similar to it.

Thanks in advance !

One of the criteria for the back to education scheme is that the course must be full-time, and be held in a school, college or similar institution.

Your husband should ask to speak to the Job Facilitator at the office where he signs on, he/she may be able to direct him towards any allowances if there are any available.

You may have seen this already, here's the Fás information on apprenticeships where it states that a Fás apprentice allowance will be paid in respect of off-the-job training periods, but that the employer is supposed to pay for on-the-job training time.

http://www.fas.ie/en/Training/Apprenticeships/default.htm

I was a Apprentice Training advisor with Fas (ANCO) in the vearly 1980's for apprentice electrician's We developed instrument, CCTV, MV, Electronics, and IT modules to get te apprentices accross the line, these worked. I also prepared a paper on C&G ONC and HNC, courses, which was binned by ANCO and Dept. of Ed. due to the cost. With the Eurocrats and IMF moving in, these programmes are the Euro Norm,I just hope our apprentices are looked after

Back