Do Deskjet printers print photos?

IWONDER

Hi
I am trying to find out the answer to the above question and would appreciate any replies.
I have been given a HP Deskjet 2050 printer as a present, but I specifically wanted a printer that could print photos. I am just wondering would a deskjet be okay or would I need it have to be a 'photo' printer (Photosmart or something like that).
Thanks

Most deskjets will print photos, but require a photo cartridge, which replaces the colour cartridge while printing photos. If the printer can print photos, it'll be stated clearly in the manual, and most likely on the box too. In fact I'd imagine googling "deskjet 2050 photos" would actually answer the question.

Hi Dahamsta

Sorry I wasn't being lazy :) - but I was trying to get an answer to that question in a bit of a rush, and was looking for anyone else's experience of using the printer for photos. I need to print off some boarding cards in the next few hours but did not want to open the box unless I knew photo printing was possible. The other thing I suppose I wanted to know - was would the quality be any good?
I did google that question but I have the option of getting a lift somewhere in ten mins to get the stuff printed or wait and do it later myself.

Thanks

Whats a photo cartridge and how is different to the color one that you say it replaces? That makes no sense to me. The HP site only mentions a black one and a colour one.

[broken link removed]

All printers print photos, even black and white ones.

Every Hewlett-Packard printer I've ever had prints very good quality photo - especially my current HP Photosmart C7280.

I have never heard of a photocartridge and would be interested in learning more.

You dont need photo quality for boarding cards, just standard A4 is fine.

Hi - I wasn't looking for photo info for the boarding cards ! :D

I hinted to family that I wanted a multi-function printer and that I was particularly interested in using it for printing photos. I was then given a HP Deskjet printer, but was under the impression that I needed a Photosmart printer for photos, otherwise why the differentiation in the printer type. There isn't any mention of photos on the limited information on the box containing the printer, and I did not want to open it in case I needed to change to a 'photo' one. I needed to print the boarding cards that evening and in a hurry which is why I posted the question here.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I am going to keep the printer as it sounds like it will do the job.

Well even low end printers do a decent job. The better the printer the better the quality. If you are doing any volume you'd probably take it somewhere to get it printed as the inkjets are expensive in ink. For one off jobs now and then its fine.

Back