Dividing wall-Cavity or Solid block

pennypincher

My brother did his snag on his new home yesterday and noticed that the dividing walls are cavity block and not Solid block.My house is solid block,does anyone know if this is OK,his concern is twofold,Noise and Fire spread prevention.

I bought a new house in Dublin two years ago but I can't remember if it was cavity or block. Either is OK.

Anyway I had a builder from Cork look at the spec to which the house was going to be built to. Apparently it's perfectly OK to use either. It seems to depend on the part of the country you're in.

He did express some surprise that the method in Dublin is still being used - something about weather proofing. One way is better than the other. Not a problem now but maybe if Dublin gets a lot wetter it could be!

Sorry for being so vague.

John

The http://www.environ.ie/DOEI/DOEIPol.nsf/wvNavView/wwdConstruction?OpenDocument&Lang=en (DoE building standards/regulations) might help clarify matters.

There is some confusion here. Cavity blockwork (9" hollow blocks) are acceptable where they are rendered externally and insualted internally using a drylining. However a hollow block wall would not be acceptable as a dividing (party) due to the lack of mass- this would make it a poor sound barrier.

Back