Dividends, withholding tax, revenue forms

bigjoe_dub

I am a PAYE worker
For the last few years I have purchased shares for the company I work for as part of our annual bonus scheme. (all in line with revenue guideline)

I have received dividends on these for the last 3 years. The company is a foreign multinational and a dividends withholding tax was applied in both Ireland and the foreign country. There is a treaty in place were we can claim back the difference. I have applied for this.

Now we are not talking huge amounts here but I want to use this opportunity to get straight with tax man going forward.

Revenue have sent me(I was expecting this as I knew the dividends withholding tax form wound be sent to them for approval) form 12 for year 2009 and 2010 and form 12s for 2011. They said in the letter that only form 12s was currently available for 2011.

I am hoping any money due to me from the withholding tax will cover any monies owed to revenue and then going forward I will be on top of things.

Now the questions,

Dividends are the only other income I have apart for my PAYE salary. Is form 12s ok to complete for 2011 and should I ask for a form 12s instead of a form 12 for years 2009 and 2010 as well?

As this is my first time doing any form of returns to revenue I would like to sit down with a tax expert and get them to do it as they would know of the allowances etc.

Can anyone recommend a good tax accountant in D11 or D9 area. (would travel further if they were good) Maybe a person who has recently set up on their own and are trying to build their client base or someone who does this as a sideline. There are a few other in a similar situation in the office so may be able to give recommendations.

How much would I expect to pay for this? My paper work is well in order. I would prefer the face to face approach rather then the on line services that some companies offer.

On the basis that the dividends are likely to be taxable at 41% plus levies etc, I would have thought that it's unlikely that the DWT/encashment tax plus any foreign tax would cover your liability?

Back