Disposing of documents, shredding services?

BrokeBroker

I recently changed institutions and have a bunch of old documentation I no longer need.

Obviously prudent to have this shredded.

I suppose I could bring it somewhere and burn it but, carbon emissions etc.

Would local copy shops or a library or something facilitate shredding, or something business that might accommodate me?

I about about 1 to 1.5 kg worth of documents.

You might pick up a cheap home shredder for as low as a tenner on the likes of Adverts.ie etc.
If you have an open fire/solid fuel stove at home you could just burn them.
Alternatively soak them in water and make them into a pulp that you can then dispose of.
I tend to just tear my stuff into small pieces and then bring it to the local recycling with the rest of the household recycling.

You might pick up a cheap home shredder for as low as a tenner on the likes of Adverts.ie etc.

Am in the middle of clearing a lot of documents at the moment and and I just remove the smaller section of the documents with private details and bin the rest in green bin. But even the smaller amount will eventually create an awful lot of shredding.

I was only thinking about this yesterday and wondering how to dispose of the shredded documents in the recycle centre. Last time I visited our recycle centre they used a large container with small holes to place documents.

I just rang recycle centre and they confirmed that the only option is to bring bags along and manually transfer the shredded documents to the large containers :(

I did this a few years ago, borrowed a shredder from my BIL who had bought it in Lidl and started shredding
Took a while as I had years of documents to do and as the Lidl shredder is very basic, I could only do a few pages at a time
Then dumped it all in the green bin for recycling and will repeat the process in another 10 or 15 years if I'm still here

I just rang recycle centre and they confirmed that the only option is to bring bags along and manually transfer the shredded documents to the large containers :(
I don't really see what the problem is or why the :( emoji...

There is a man in a van that does shredding for hire. I saw the van somewhere recently but I can't remember exactly where.

Not 100% if typical recycling "likes" shredded paper as it gets stuck to everything else in your green bin. You might need to put it into envelope or paper bag.

As noted above, many of the pages will be general info like standard terms and conditions so doesn't need to be shredded.

I don't really see what the problem is or why the :( emoji..

With many, many, many bags it would be a nightmare job. The dust and spread of loose shredded paper being moved from large black bags and squashing it in a small hole in the container is definitely not something to look forward to. Even the guy in the recycle centre did confirm that it would be an unpleasant job.

Depends how much you have.

I had to deal with a relatives estate & they asked me to promise to burn their papers.

It took several weeks but thats exactly what I did.

Now I burn my own unneeded papers straight away.

Last edited:
I saw an ad recently about a shredding service being provided as Ashbourne recycling centre. I think it was free too. might be worth contacting them if your not too far

I saw an ad recently about a shredding service being provided as Ashbourne recycling centre. I think it was free too. might be worth contacting them if your not too far
Might only be tomorrow?
ASHBOURNE RECYCLING DAY
Sat, September 16th

Last edited:
If you compost at home shredded paper is a great way to improve the carbon content.

Welcome to my world! Even though I run a paperless business, there's a load of paper!!

the cheap shredders will make the job of shredding longer. They will only be able to take a small amount of documents at a time and will overheat easily, so you will only be able to shred a small amount before having to let it cool down again.

As has been said, most of the documents generated as generic so just stick them in the green bin or compost. Shred the ones with confidential info.

If you know someone who works in a large organisation, ask them if they have shredding bins in work and see if they can stick it in the shredding bin for you.

Back