Dishwasher not cleaning

pennypincher

I'm having an issue with my Dishwasher(5 years old),whereby it doesn't seem to clean all the items properly of food,and we have to rewash them etc.It has plenty of salt for hardness in the water,...is it on the way out or is there something I can do to keep it going a few more years?

Try giving the machine a good clean inside with an old tooth brush in the hard to reach areas and wipe the rest down with a cloth using washing soda to get the grease/ grime off. Then chuck in half a cup of washing soda into the (empty) machine and run a hot wash. It should shift any grease in the system. It's only a suggestion but it might be worth trying before getting out the toolbox! (I assume the filters are spotless- no orange seeds etc??)

Also, check the sprinklers for any clogging.; We have had babies for the past few years and cotton wool seems to get everywhere; If a small bit gets into a dishwasher, it doesn't disintegrate but ends up in the sprinkler holes. The sprinkler heads pop off and can be easily picked clean.

We have a seven year old machine and we recently got it serviced, as it was giving some trouble. I was very surprised that anyone would come out to do this for a reasonable sum (€68), but a man called out, ripped the machine apart, cleaned out a LOT of hard greasy stuff, put it back together and was gone within a half an hour. We got him through the "Customer Care line" for our particular machine (siemens or bosch I think) which was a first for me - I had always assumed that these care lines are staffed by people who really don't care.

Ignoring the obvious advertising you may find something useful here.

I got a few free samples of this at one stage and found it left the machine gleaming. Carpenter's version is probably the same thing and a lot cheaper but if it does not work this stuff might do the job instead. Worth a try before paying a maintenance callout.

We had the same problem. Informal advice was to use "full cycle" rather than "economy cycle" on each wash. This solved the problem.

Back