Dishwasher bought in UK & parts warranty

frash

I bought a dishwasher in IKEA in Belfast about 18 months ago.

It came with a warrenty card which stated it was for UK customers only so I didn't send it in.
In hindsight this was a bad idea & something I should have sorted out with Whirpool ireland at the time but ..... you know where this is going..... my dishwasher is now broken & needs a new part worth approx €200.

What are my chances of getting their free 8 year parts guarantee at this stage? Will they just tell me I didn't send in the warrenty so it's tough luck?

Will be ringing them in the next couple of days so would like an idea of how they are going to respond.

What are my chances of getting their free 8 year parts guarantee at this stage? Will they just tell me I didn't send in the warrenty so it's tough luck?

Will be ringing them in the next couple of days so would like an idea of how they are going to respond.

This made me smile. Why do you need an idea of how they are going to respond? Ring them and find out. Have your receipt handy, explain the situation (leaving out the 'UK only guarantee' and the fact you did not register it) and ask them what they can do for you. It'll probably be fine.

On second thoughts, I would be starting with IKEA. Check UK consumer law, which does not limit repair or replacement to one year, but to a reasonable period. So start by ringing IKEA and asking for a repair or replacement.

Well I rang them.
They said if I had sent in the "UK Only" warranty card at the time then they would have honored it but seeing as I didn't it's just tough.

If I had bought it within a year then it would have been covered but it's over a year.

I think it might be worth contacting IKEA it seems very harsh that Whirlpool are refusing to do anything for you The product should not need a major repair after 18 months

Well I rang them...
Who did you ring? If it was IKEA they are bound by EU consumer law - [broken link removed]

You never had a contract with the manufacturer at any stage, particularly as you failed to register the purchase with them.

Thanks for the replies.
It was Whirlpool that I rang & agree that it is very harsh that they're not standing over their product but as mathepc very validly points out I never had any kind of contract with them.

I will contact IKEA but the only problem there is that I can't find the receipt anywhere. I do have the serial numbers though so hopefully they will accept that I bought it from them once they look that up.

Got a reply from IKEA:
"You will need to call Whirpool as the item is only guaranted with Ikea for 28 days.

There is nothing Ikea can do i'm afraid as it is only guaranteed with Ikea for 28 days, Whirlpool is the only option to call."

What Ikea are telling you is incorrect and in contravention of your statutory rights. Take a look at the Faulty Goods FAQ section of the Consumer Connect site, particularly questions 6 and 11. Question 9 will apply in your case as well.
Leo

Thanks for that info Leo I but as "a gesture of goodwill" Whirlpool are going to repair the dishwasher at their cost.

:D

Why?
I was only enquiring what people thought my rights were (this is a consumer rights forum after all) before I ring the company.

Sorry if it came across wrong, frash. I only meant that the only way to find out was to call them, as the terms of the guarantee were not on your side. Glad you are sorted.

What Ikea are telling you is incorrect and in contravention of your statutory rights. Take a look at the Faulty Goods FAQ section of the Consumer Connect site, particularly questions 6 and 11. Question 9 will apply in your case as well.
Leo

but since the dishwasher was purchased in what is officially the UK, does consumerconnect.ie refer to UK consumer laws ? It looks like it applies to the Republic. Some resource with UK law is needed for clarity.

Back