Discussion with employers - reconsidering resignation

irishkiwi197

Hi, not sure if iv posted this in the correct area or not, but here goes, I was working on an IT helpdesk and got totally stressed out, had loads of other jobs to do aswell as answering the phone to very very irate colleagues with computer problems. Have been out sick from work for a while but am ready to get back into work. I had previously told my employer that I would come back but not to the job I had before. They are now asking me to come back and do it "for a while" until something else becomes available. I had given them in my notice, but they are asking me to reconsider. Are there any tips for negotiating what I am looking for? is there a normal legal timeframe and obligation on the company to get me into another job asap? If another job comes up, will i then have to go for interview for it? Meaning I may still not get the job, i don't want the situation to go on indeffinately. Thanks!

If you would be happy to work in the same job for the same company, but under better conditions, then talk to them about what conditions (I don't mean money) you would be willing to take it back.

Ask yourself what would really need to be in place for you to want to do that job again. Once you are clear, ask them if they can provide it and in what timeframe. If positive, then consider rejoining and begin to negotiate at that point.

I would not take it on the basis that the conditions would be the same until they found something else for you to do.

Hi, thanks for the advice, unfortunately i just dont have any faith that things will change, they dont usually so my guess is that they will just get me back in with a load of promises and keep fobbing me off as usual....will see tomorrow when i meet them!

All you can do is to set a defined timeline for how long you will continue in your current position. If there is appropriate training that would assist in moving to another position, get a commitment to organise and schedule that.

It all depends on the situation and the people but they must value you if they want you to stay and if you are demonstrating a loyalty to the company in agreeing to continue the current role in the short term, the hope would be that they would reciprocate. Most importantly, get it in writing/ email, even if this means that after a meeting you email them your understanding of what was agreed.

ontour, thank you, i have been in that employment for 6 years so loyalty should not be a question, reliability should not be a question for them either, i luved 99% of the job but the 1% that i cant do any longer(which is being tied to the phone logging calls all day long!) is the 1% that is the most important part of the job so there is no way they can have a helpdesk and have me not answer calls.... funnily enough i never got any training for the job i am doing now, it wasn't until i had nearly collapsed from the stress that I actually asked them for training in how to deal with the abusive calls, but by then the damage had been done! typical....

irishkiwi197 i have been in exactly the same position as you - about 10 years ago, got thrown in at the deep end onto a helpdesk with no training whatsoever. Expected to answer calls all day and get through a list of stuff also. The worst part is when you don't actually know what the callers are talking about! I just got out of there as I knew it would never change and it wasn't for me as I too was getting stressed over it.

I do not think from the sounds of it that things will change in your job so to be honest if you have 6 years experience I would get out of there, I am sure you can get something else in another company?

Hi IMD thanks for the message, yeh your right, i am going to get out of there, went in for a meeting today with the HR crowd, but they couldn't guarantee me anything no move to another job, no incentives for staying and no change in the current situation, so its out, onwards and upwards, feel quite relieved actually! thanks again!

Back