Discrimination issue by management company

dubdeb

Hi,

Today a van we own which has been parked in the development we've lived in for almost a decade, in visitor parking was clamped. It has been parked here for more than 4 years and not a problem until today.

At the same time other commercial vehicles were parked nearby and they weren't clamped.

Rules state 'no high-sided commercial vehicles' and the van doesn't fall into this category, it's the same as the one parked next to it most nights which is owned by somebody who has never been clamped and has lived here longer - the only difference with him is that he owns his apartment whereas we are tenants.

On calling the clamping company we were advised that the owner of the van has been blacklisted!

We have no idea why he would be blacklisted, why others who lived here as long as 18 years have never been clamped and why somebody would go to the trouble of adding notes to the system of the clamping company to say he was blacklisted.

We've had to pay to have the clamp removed but in a development of several hundred apartments where on any given night there are 20+ commercial vehicles parked, we need to find out how to deal with blatant discrimination.

The van wasn't causing an obstruction, and wasn't parked in a private spot, we appear to have fallen foul of somebody with access to the management company who has never spoken to us but has an issue with vans in what would once have been considered an upmarket development.

Any thoughts or advice would be welcome.

You need to contact your landlord to discuss why this might have happened. The only reason clamping is in place in most managed developments is because of persistent non payment of fees by certain owners. The management company won't deal with you directly as you are not a member so you need to ask your landlord to contact them. If it is the case that the landlord has been taking rental payment from you, availing of all the services of the estate without paying his share, then he will need to pay for the clamp to be removed and pay what he owes the management company. Hope you get it sorted.

You need to contact your landlord to discuss why this might have happened. The only reason clamping is in place in most managed developments is because of persistent non payment of fees by certain owners. The management company won't deal with you directly as you are not a member so you need to ask your landlord to contact them. If it is the case that the landlord has been taking rental payment from you, availing of all the services of the estate without paying his share, then he will need to pay for the clamp to be removed and pay what he owes the management company. Hope you get it sorted.
Thanks, I have just asked the landlord and they are up to date and I believe them as we are fortunate that they are really good to deal with and on the ball with everything.

Thanks, I have just asked the landlord and they are up to date and I believe them as we are fortunate that they are really good to deal with and on the ball with everything.

If they are so good to deal with why not ask them to make enquiries as to why the clamping happened to your vehicle only and not others as well?

Is there any designated parking space for your accommodation? You mentioned you parked in the visitor carpark.
We have a designated spot but like most of the neighbours we've got just one spot so the second vehicle is in a visitor spot. There are about 20 spots immediately outside our apartment block, every one of those is full every night with residents and there will usually be 4 -5 commercial vehicles of similar size in these spaces alone

Were no other vehicle clamped in the visitor car park that day? I would enquire directly or via your landlord to the managing agent or the omc to understand the clamping policy. There might have been complaints or changes.

Than ask the landlord to ring them and sort it out.

If they are so good to deal with why not ask them to make enquiries as to why the clamping happened to your vehicle only and not others as well?
The landlord is good, the management company aren't and it's somebody there that's singled out my partner for no clear reason

On calling the clamping company we were advised that the owner of the van has been blacklisted!
OK - I didn't take in this bit. So who blacklisted him ? I presume you feel it's someone from the MC which means another owner. You need to find out who and why. I'd try the clamping again first and then the MC and if the MC refuse ask your Landlord to ask the MC as he is a member.
Can your partner recall if he parked in someone else's spot recently ?

The Management Company is all the owners in the development. The Managing Agent works on their behalf and is appointed by them. Owners would have agreed to have clamping on site usually because of a debt situation. The clamping company is appointed and works independently according to the guidelines given by the OMC. It would seem to be that you don't have full information here, so claiming discrimination without this would seem to be premature. Hope you get it sorted and get the clarification you need.

Back