Disability payment and inheritance

holidayqueen

Hi I have a relative who is a long time disability recipient. He has recently inherited a sum of 75k . Will this affect his payment and how do we go about letting the Intero office know about this.
He has a mild intellectual disability so would not be able to handle this issue himself. He is 60 and lives alone he had very little extra cash prior to this around 4k .
Thanks in advance

Hi I have a relative who is a long time disability recipient.
What disability payment?
Means tested or not?
He has recently inherited a sum of 75k . Will this affect his payment and how do we go about letting the Intero office know about this.
If the payment it means tested then the inheritance may impact the payment.
Contact details for Intreo offices are here:

It is not a means tested disability payment as far as I know he has been getting this all his adult life as he has a diagnosis of intellectual disability.
So if it is not a means tested disability then does it affect his payment.
Thank you for your help

It is not a means tested disability payment as far as I know he has been getting this all his adult life as he has a diagnosis of intellectual disability.
Thank you for your help
This sounds like the Disability Allowance. I am afraid it is means tested.
The first €50,000 is disregarded. For the next €10,000 it is €1 per €1,000, then €2 per €1,000 for the next €10,000, and €4 per €1,000 thereafter.

See here: https://www.citizensinformation.ie/.../disability-and-illness/disability-allowance/

Thank you for your help
If it's not means tested then I don't see how coming into an inheritance would impact it. But as per @Early Riser's post maybe it is means tested. You would be to ascertain precisely what payment it is in order to clarify if it's means tested and if the inheritance will impact it or not.

Back