Dirt Damp stain in apartment ceiling

Nesta

Hi guys, have no idea how this got there.
I'm purchasing a third floor apartment from DCC. I'm currently here 9 years. Is stain coming from upstairs apt or are my pipes running through ceiling , the stain is directly above sink wash machine and dishwasher. Who is responsible for internal wall /ceiling pipes. Should I ring management co. Or is it my tough luck.

It's behind the plasterboard, so one for the mgmt company/agent.

If it's above the sink and the appliances it is probably due to condensation from the hot water. Try painting over it and see how fast it returns but give plenty of ventilation when using the hot water and appliances i.e. when opening dishwasher after wash. I suspect you just need a vent up high somewhere near the current stain.

No it's defo not from condensation, it's a dirty water stain right at the coving in kitchen that has gradually got bigger. The water mark is in waves as if its only happening every so often and not a constant leak . Think I will ring the management co. And then probably home bond. Thank you for replies. But I have a feeling it's a leaking waste pipe from wash machine or dishwasher

Have you spoken to your neighbours upstairs. I had something similar in August last year, and it turned out to be a leak from the bath upstairs which they werent aware of. Once they made repairs, they painted my ceiling and it never came back

Presumably the layout of the apartment overhead is the same as yours, so their sink, washing machine and dishwasher are probably directly over yours, and that's where the leak is coming from. (It's certainly much more likely than condensation from your own appliances)

:confused:
I'm purchasing a third floor apartment from DCC.
who is advising you/carrying out inspection on the apartment before you purchase? they should advise, diagnose
Who is responsible for internal wall /ceiling pipes. Should I ring management co. Or is it my tough luck.
your purchasing the apartment and you haven't found this out? who is looking out for your legal interests on the purchase? they should be advising you here.:eek:

:confused:who is advising you/carrying out inspection on the apartment before you purchase? they should advise, diagnose

your purchasing the apartment and you haven't found this out? who is looking out for your legal interests on the purchase? they should be advising you here.:eek:

Purchasing as in the process of paying a mortgage which DCC supplied. I'm living in it nearly 10 years not sure the likes of this shows up in a snag list. Besides if you have nothing positive to add please don't bother posting. To other posters: thank you for advice ,I will contact apartment above to see off problem is up there

Besides if you have nothing positive to add please don't bother posting.

I think this is unfair - a recommendation to make sure you're getting proper legal advice is not negative, it's good counsel.

(And TBH, being snotty about advice given - unless it's repeatedly irrelevant or nonsensical - is itself unhelpful.)

I think this is unfair - a recommendation to make sure you're getting proper legal advice is not negative, it's good counsel.

(And TBH, being snotty about advice given - unless it's repeatedly irrelevant or nonsensical - is itself unhelpful.)

Absolutely, it is good advice, would be foolish not to follow it when making such a significant comittment.

same thing happened to me several years ago. Turned out upstairs appt dishwasher was not plumbed in correctly. Further complicated by fact he was away and hadn't left contact details. Cue much amusement as fire brigade knocked down his door. The water from his dishwasher was going down the back of my bathroom (I have a duplex), but the first non concrete floor water hit was my kitchen.

My advice would be to get a loss advisor - got me a lot more cash, and covered the excess,

Back