Digital camera for idiots

phoenix

Hi all

Just to set the scene! When I say I know nothing about digital cameras, I mean I know nothing. Not a sausage!

However, I'm beginning to panic that my lovely children will grow up with absolutely no record of their childhood and I think I should get one quick. But I haven't got a clue what to buy.

I would like to be able to take pictures and download them on to the PC and that in itself will be another days work and learning curve.:eek:

I really don't want a choice. I just want to be given a name of a camera and told to go and buy it!

What do you think?

You really should read up even a little before buying. In my opinion asking for a recommendation in the way that you have makes no sense.

I hear what you are saying Clubman but I really have no interest in the subject.

Now if I was talking about investing in property, savings, holidays, a new kitchen etc, I would be researching to my hearts content.

Truth is I feel the same about most technology. TVs, stereos, ipods, pcs digital cameras, broadband, memory sticks, blackberrys, mobile phones just don't do it for me....................so whats a girl to do?

As with any product you need to know your needs and what matches them. Just asking for a blanket recommendation doesn't make sense to me.

If it's of any assistance I have been doing a bit of research myself recently to find something similar and I have now decided, based on all the reviews and personal recommendations, on the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W55. It ticks all the boxes for my needs - ie general use, family occasions, holidays.

It comes in black, silver, pink or blue and has a 2.5" screen, with a lithium-ion battery. Its quite small, so you can pop it into a pocket or purse quite easily. Pixmania have it at a good price - this is not a recommendation as I don't have experience with that supplier but you can see all the accessories here http://www.pixmania.com/si/uk/528023/art/sony/cyber-shot-dsc-w55-silver.html. See other threads for members' comments on Pixmania's reliability as a supplier.

Among the accessories available is an adaptor which enables the battery to be charged from your car cigarette lighter. If you are buying the pink or blue there are matching leather cases available if you do a search - I saw some on eBay.
A battery charger is included but you will need to buy an SD memory card and possibly the USB memory card reader - I would also recommend buying a spare battery as "Murphy's Law" has a nasty habit of kicking in .............

I found the following video demo on YouTube which is first class - www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExQ542qlivM

And, finally, for a comprehensive review http://www.dcviews.com/press/Sony-W55.htm

Hope this is of some assistance :)

I recently got a Sony Cybershot DSC-W50 for the same purpose from pixmania.
Easy to use and download to PC. Ideal for your situation

I bought mine as a pack from them with the memory card & case which saves you a few euro

If you choose any digital camera, make sure it has a rechargeable lithium battery as it will go tho normal batteries like crazy

The pack I got came with a 512MB card which holds about 300 (3MB) pics
here's the link for it

I agree......and of the Sony Cybershot range are really easy to use......perfectly foolproof.....

to be honest the most important thing to look out for would be to make sure it has optical zoom (digital zoom is a gimmick and not worth using) 3X should be loads for what you need. anything with 3Mega Pixels + again would be plenty for printing out even up to 8X10 snaps. Some cameras come with a proprietry battery which must be recharged and others just use 2 AA batteries, the latter might be easier for yourself. Any of the big brand names should do something entry level, but good quality for €150ish - canon and nikon are photographers favourites usually, but panasonic, sony, fuji and samsung are all good as well. Some of the Canons, Nikons and Samsungs have moire manual settings which you probably wouldn't be using so maybe a sony or a fuji (my mother has the latter and still doesn't know how to use it but manages to get decent pics ;)) might be the most user-friendly option??

have a look on dcreviews as an earlier poster suggested, or even a flick through the argos catalogue to see whats available as a guide.

my Sony can shoot up to 6MPixels, but I take all my photographs on the 3MP setting as the files would be huge. It has 3X optical zoom aswell

what I really like about it is how slim it is, it can fit in my back pocket and if you keep it on the auto settings dial, its just point & shoot

I recently bought a canon 400D,this is semi pro so expensive,but if you want top quality pics,this is the job,cost about 700,but its a life time job,your choice.

If you haven't already bought that digital camera go out and buy the Canon A460 recommended by michaelm. Don't bother to look any further and you won't regret it. All you do then is just point and shoot and anything you don't like just kill it on the spot and take another shot. Happy snapping.

I was in the same boat 2 years ago. Was recommended to purchase a Fuji FinePix. Did so and haven't looked back. Easy to use both in taking photos and transferring the snaps to a PC. In the likely event the memory card does not come packaged with the camera don't buy one from the retailer, unless they are offering a really good deal. Buy it on line at www.7dayshop.com - for example you can get a 2Gb card for GBP £26.99 (about €40).

Hi all

Sorry for not reporting back sooner on the outcome of my query.

I went for the Sony Cybershot and have been happily taking pics since. I love it. Simple to use and the fact that there are no films to be developed is heaven.

Thanks for all the replies. I know Clubman was right when he said I should have done some research before buying but it all worked out fantastic in the end.

Thanks for the tip miselemeas. Now about 50 inch televisions.........................................

Phoenix

if you just want simplicity, easy to download to a pc and reliability, I would suggest the sony cybershots, very reasonably priced for everyones range

To the OP - if you have no interest in learning about photography why not ask a friend, or a professional photographer to take some photos for you.

Back