Digital book readers - would you recommend?

onekeano

Thinking about getting one of these as a present for someone. Just wondering if anyone has used one and if so, are they recommended? Are most news books (especially novels) available for download to these readers and if so are they cheaper than buying hardback / paperbacks (I'd imagine they would be)?

Finally, Sony seem to be market leaders in this, are there any other recommended machines which might be less expensive?

thanks
Roy

I think Amazon's Kindle was the market leader but they underestimated demand & are sold out.
http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Amazons-Wireless-Reading-Device/dp/B000FI73MA/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1232810401&sr=8-1
I know would always prefer a paperback/hardback to a digital reader so make sure you can return it if the gift isn't something the person would use.

The new Sony was launched here before Christmas ... yet the replacement model was available in the U.S. well before it!

Irl version: Sony Reader PRS-505 - eBook Reader

Review here - http://www.trustedreviews.com/mobile-devices/review/2008/10/14/Sony-Reader-PRS-505---eBook-Reader/p1

U.S. version: Sony Reader PRS-700BC

More info here - [broken link removed]

I have lots of pdfs book and mp4 videos that I would love to be able to read/watch away from my laptop ..... a reader that would do both would be brilliant.

Re. books fro download ... it's like the ipod and apple ..... the digital books seem to be provided in a cornered market. You may pay a little less than a 'real' book but you'll also be restricted with choice.

I think we're still only in the infancy stage of ebook readers .... with time they'll be stronger, better and more functional.

At the moment I don't see anything out there that could fulfill my requirements.

Thanks lads....... I'm convinced!

maybe for next years birthday or the year after when functionaility improves!

Roy

Bear in mind that these gadgets use various schemes of Digital Rights Management and this may restrict your choice if the book you want is to offerered in a format compatible with your chosen device and also tie you into always owning the same brand of device or risk losing access to all the books you purchased.

When I first heard about these types of gadgets I was interested, but then I seen the prices of new books on the Sony format - more expensive than a physical book which has to be printed and shipped around the world.

Why?

And for that reason, I'm out.

I had a Kindle and never used it. It is just not enjoyable to read for any protracted period. i wenjoy a good read but this just did not have the comfort and enjoyment of an actual book. Fine for short articles but not for a bed time read.

Be better spend the considerable cost on a few good books.

With real books, you can swap them with your friends or give them to charity shops when you're finished with them.

I think eBook readers are a solution chasing a problem that's mostly in the minds of the rights-holders.

I wouldn't get a dedicated eBook/Digital book reader its a one trick pony. You can use a Windows Mobile PDA, or a Palm, or smart phone, iPhone, iTouch to do basically the same thing. I've always done that with my PDA's and theres lot of copyright free ebook/digital books you can get especially old classics. If you want modern stuff you'll probably have to subscribe to something.

A colleague has the Sony Reader, reckons it's great. As for sourcing books, lets just say it's not that different from sourcing music/movies online.

I dunno, I think its a product that's not quite ready yet. I'd say give it a year and a much better reader is likely to have come out.

One substantial benefit of these devices for some people is the ability to change (usually increase) the font size at will, for those who struggle with the font size used in many paper books. I was surprised to see them advertising these for the Nintendo DS, as the screen size seems just too small to be useful, IMHO.

Back