Difference between reading on Smart Meter and Solis Cloud App

jumper1

Hi ,

Installed Solar Panels in Oct-2022 and Smart Meter up and running Nov 2023

having difference in readings between Smart Meter and SolisCloud App.

Importing from Grid +3% in favour of Smart Meter e.g 10.3 Kwh showing on Smart Meter and 10KWh showing on SolisCloud App
Exporting to Grid -30% in favour of Smart Meter e.g 10 Kwh showing on Smart Meter and 13KWh showing on SolisCloud App.

Anybody having simular problems or is it the case that the Smart Meter is always right

3% difference I can live with , but a 30% difference in favour of the smart meter is a lot especially when it could work at about €130 in a year in a difference .

FWIW I have a smart meter, Zappi car charger, SoFar solar inverter and Efergy power monitor. They all report slightly different power usage at any moment (eg. 1.1kW vs 1.2kW etc), which over a month is going to add up to a fairly decent difference in kWh consumption. With the exception of the smart meter, they're all using fairly crude clip-on inductive clamps that are likely to be affected by how close they are to other cables etc.

So I take them all to be a guide to your consumption, except the smart meter which I assume is more accurate.

I agree there is always a bit of difference as items are calibrated differently . But a 30% difference in the exporting of Electricity to the GRID seems to be excessive by any measurement.

Would there be a loss of 30% from where the Electricity is generated to the Point where it reaches the Start Meter(10 to 20 feet away from the solar panels ,Max) .

Ah sorry missed the extra 0 on your export. I don't have my panels/smart meter long enough to do a comparison for you sorry.

30% does sound high, definitely would not be attributable to loses in the cable between the inverter and meter (you'd be looking at losses of less than 1% in a cable like that). Again though I'd be inclined to think the meter is probably right and the inverter is probably off, the software/apps for these things does not inspire me with much confidence :).

So I take them all to be a guide to your consumption, except the smart meter which I assume is more accurate.

I'd like to be able to take it as a given that the smart meter is accurate (no qualifications - more accurate, less accurate, simply accurate.)

I'd like to be able to take it as a given that the smart meter is accurate (no qualifications - more accurate, less accurate, simply accurate.)
I considered writing that, but it struck me that measuring electricity flow is not like counting cars passing over a bridge, the meter is not counting passing electrons, it's doing some sort of estimation or sampling (I assume?). What can be said to be accurate is that what your meter says is what you'll be billed, and that's mostly what matters here I guess.

And now I'm on a list of smart meter skeptics, I'll have to up my 5G conspiracy game too!

Smart meters use a Rogowski coil, which through mutual inductance meausures the AC current passing through the mains wire. Its not a sampling process, but a continuous time domain measurement of current . The continuous time waveform is indeed sampled at high speed & digitised by a highly accurate A/D converter made by US tech chip companies, one of which is based in Ireland.

The electronics in these meters are built & tested by Siemens, Schneider electric, GE and ABB.
The meter itself Kalstrop is Danish. So not some chinese knock off.

Kalstrop meters are widely used throughout Europe, so the need to be very accurate <0.1%. Comparisons with old spinning disk mechanisms is analagous to comparing a POTS phone from 1980 to a 5G telephony set.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I had my solar pv panels installed last October and have had ongoing problems with the company who installed them. My EDDI was not configured at the time of installation and I had major jumps in my electricity consumption which I had to get the company to address. My consumption jumped by a third and when the company representative inspected it he offered to take it back and refund the cost of it. Eventually, he said tonswitch it off and only turn it on when I needed hot water.

I have oil CH andvit heats the water so I don't really need it. I decided to switch it off and contacted Myenergy to see if they could assist me. The were very helpful and gave me loads of information and suggestions but unfortunately none worked for me. The EDDI is still switched off.
I have sent the company a number of emails setting out the problems and the fact the EDDI is still switched off, but no response to date.

I would appreciate if someone with more information and knowledge with this problem could offer me suggestions on how I should proceed in this matter.

Hi all,

I had my solar pv panels installed last October and have had ongoing problems with the company who installed them. My EDDI was not configured at the time of installation and I had major jumps in my electricity consumption which I had to get the company to address. My consumption jumped by a third and when the company representative inspected it he offered to take it back and refund the cost of it. Eventually, he said tonswitch it off and only turn it on when I needed hot water.

I have oil CH andvit heats the water so I don't really need it. I decided to switch it off and contacted Myenergy to see if they could assist me. The were very helpful and gave me loads of information and suggestions but unfortunately none worked for me. The EDDI is still switched off.
I have sent the company a number of emails setting out the problems and the fact the EDDI is still switched off, but no response to date.

I would appreciate if someone with more information and knowledge with this problem could offer me suggestions on how I should proceed in this matter.
Very difficult to respond without a full explanation what’s wrong. Possibly your immersion thermostat has failed if the EDDI isn’t turning off. To be honest now that night rate is cheaper than export just use it as a normal timer and heat the hot water during this period. If the company flat out refuses to engage and you want to recoup some money you could take it out and sell it online and replace it with a cheaper time clock.

Back