Diesel Ford Focus: oil around the engine? Is this a problem?

Cabaiste

OK, soory about my lack of technical knowledge and I hope I can describe this properly.

Car = Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI ('05, new shape model). 55k kilometers on the clock, bought 2 months ago with 48k & FSH.

I was topping up the water resevoir in my car over the weekend and I noticed that there seemed to be alot of oil all around the engine, particlularly around the alternator. I dipped the oil (twice to be sure!) and it was a good bit above the max line!

Could this oil around the engine be due to it being overfilled, and if so is this a problem?

Re: Diesle Ford Focus: oil around the engine? Is this a problem?

That could be one reason. Might be no harm to get a valeting place to give the engine and engine bay a good clean up. Oil smells when an engine is hot.

Keep a close eye on your dipstick afterwards and watch for any more oil appearing around the engine... if there is, you'll have to talk to a mechanic.

If you bought it from a garage it might be no harm to notify them now that you have a concern about oil leakage... just in case.

Is your exhaust particularly smokey? Particularly when you rev the engine? If it is you might have an issue with engine gaskets, which would be very unusual in a diesel with such low mileage.

Did you check the power steering fluid? Maybe its not engine oil.

Check the temperature gauge whilst driving. If the engine gets excessively hot, your Cylinder head gasket could be knackered and a costly job to repair. Where did you buy the car ??

sometimes they are just a 'dirty' engine, esp the diesels, may not be a major concern.
power washing may not be suitable for some of the more later engine delicate electronics

Syphon off any excess oil if the mark is too high on the dipstick.

Too much engine oil is every bit as abd for an engine as too little.

if your focus is the 1.6 diesel more than likely the weld is broken on the upper intercooler hose its a black steel pipe about 3inches in diameter at the top of the rad goin into the rubber inlet manifold pipe between the air box and the cylinder head you will see a small support bracket just on the bend and oil will be seaping out very common .need new upper intercooler hose wont do any major harm but will loose slight boost presssure

Thanks for all the suggestions. As the dealership where I bought it is quite far away from where I am living, I have notified them via e-mail and have told them that I will be asking a local guy to have a look at it. I just wanted to document the issue now (asap) so there can be no issues with the warranty (got 12m / 12k miles warranty so still well covered!).

RS2k / ford jedi:

Unfortunately I'm not too mechanically minded so I think I will have to pass this one on to the experts! But many thanks for the input!!

Back