Did anyone of you open an account with one the biggest german banks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks treasure, really interested in the response to this.
Looks like one does have to travel there so the really important elements are what precisely do you need to have with you to guarantee it's not a wasted trip.
The passport is a given, forms I assume (do they have to be completed in German), some form of notarisation (whatever is involved there would be good to clarify now that the Embassy is a closed option).

Contact

Have been in touch with my contact who said that he will clarify everything with his bank as things have changed a lot in the last few months, so will post information when he gets back to me.

I called Deutsche Bank yesterday and girl told me all I have to do is go to a Branch (in Germany) with Passport and they will open an a/c. Anybody else called them or done this?

Don't forget you will also need proof of address so bring a few bills with you as I've stated above.

Also unless you speak German it's wise to check that the branch you have in mind has an English speaking staff member.

Thanks a million for posting that Godfather.Do you still have to travel over there to effect opening the account and if so, do you have a definitive list of what you need re forms (and in what language), notarizations etc?

Thanks a million for posting that Godfather.Do you still have to travel over there to effect opening the account and if so, do you have a definitive list of what you need re forms (and in what language), notarizations etc?

I'd like to know this also! I tried to open a debt register account with the finanzagentur bank but they said that they no longer accept notarised documents.

Shakespeare, chewchew, the most important thing is to sell your resume' when a customer service representative takes care of your call. :p

In my case they wrote me I don't have to fly to Germany, but I need to get all the docs certified by their branch in Dublin or by the German Embassy. ;)

Now I've a query though: all the docs have the German address, don't tell me they'll open an account in Dublin with irish sort code and account number with all the efforts I did to sell my CV!!! :eek::D

Through a French friend I've got a contact in Banque Populare they have offered to open an a/c without having to travel to France. I still waiting details re what type of a/cs and rates. But does anybody know how stable this bank is? Nothing seems straighforward with the German banks so whats the view on the stability on French ones?

Through a French friend I've got a contact in Banque Populare they have offered to open an a/c without having to travel to France. I still waiting details re what type of a/cs and rates. But does anybody know how stable this bank is? Nothing seems straighforward with the German banks so whats the view on the stability on French ones?

I'm also losing hope with opening a german account and am looking at France maybe. I think some people on here have opened accounts with Barclays.

I've been looking at this place on Godfathers foreign deposit thread ....http://www.britline.com/ they're part of Credit Agricole. It seems that you can set up an account entirely by correspondace. I'd also like to know if Credit Agricole is solid right now?

Chewchew
I may be incorrect but I thought when I read up on britline, you have to either own French property, be in the process of buying French property or have proof of recent/regular travel to France.

I'm not sure about that Shakespeare, I was speaking to a customer service rep yesterday and they didn't mention that at all. I better follow up on it.

Would love to be wrong, I think I read it on the site itself, haven't spoken with anyone anywhere. It mentioned travel documents, visa receipts to prove you've been in France, shopped there etc. I'll try to find it again, starting to doubt my sanity now........

They told me I have to open a current account before I can open a savings account :(.....This was looking promising and all. I'm waiting for a call back from them, i'll post here when I find out.

Godfather- Why would you want to invest in Germany, if I were you I would leave the money in your country of birth!

Marietta, how can you say the above to Godfather when you posted this below yourself?

"Same here, they are very quick on the ball. I must say I felt a tad guilty when I went in to close my Irish Nationwide account in favour of opening a British (euro) Nationwide a/c. I am conscious of Irish jobs lost etc but until such time as the Irish financial institutions regain some credibility I am unwilling to take the risk of losing hard earned savings."

To open a non-resident account with Deutsche Bank, you need to lodge a minimum of 100k. Up front - and agree not to touch it for some time.

To open a non-resident account with Deutsche Bank, you need to lodge a minimum of 100k. Up front - and agree not to touch it for some time.

Really? Oh dear, if I look at my email to them I was mentioning something more than 100K, sorry I wasn't aware of that...

Anyway in this period I'm taking a break from panic attacks... Whatever will happen will happen... For me having my savings where I want to buy my dream house makes me feel more comfortable...

What a shocking period... :(

I wish everyone a lovely Sunday full of walks, physical activity, positive thinking... Every evening I write down a list of positive things in my life and it's helping me with my worries about the future of Ireland, my savings, Italy, my family, etc... Also some good books on Zen, buddhism, mindfulness, etc are helping a bit... :eek:

All the best everyone!

I agree with you Godfather, it is a lovely sunny morning, perfect for a walk.
The only advice I would like to give is if you decide to open up a bank account abroad, it makes sense to open one in a city tourist area. This way you are more likely to be able to speak with someone who also speaks English. I opened an account in 2007 with the Deutsche Bank in Berlin. The branch is in one of the main tourist centers, Zoologischer Garten, Hardenbergstr, very close to the city zoo and other main attractions. Berlin is easy to get to from Ireland, they have a fantastic public transport system....arrive at the airport, walk outside the terminal building to catch the train to the city center and it is also a great city to visit for a weekend. I doubt if there will be many of these weekends happening in the near future!
As their banking on line system is available in English, all transactions are easily carried out. If I had ever had to phone the bank, I was able to speak to staff with out any difficulties as well as pass on information in English, via FAX.
I am also thinking about transfering my savings to the account even though I think the interest rates are worse than the ones available in Ireland. I am worried that any money that I hold in Ireland, to cover mortgage debt over here, may be able to pay off the debt, but what would be the true value of the asset in the future. I guess it is a gamble, but would it be worth transfering money out of the country, with the hope that if things get worse over here, I could transfer it back but with a higher worth?

You can open a steling account at your local Irish branch, at least I did, I am considering putting most of my savings in it

Listening to radio this morning with Paul Summervile on Eamonn Dumphy show is seems we are heading for a devalue of the euro in the future.
He suggests this will happen by either the Main European players dumping the pigs to a euro b division, or the Germans leaving the euro. So it seems this discussion is very important.

Roker,
Is the account you opened a savings a/c and is it paying much interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back