Did anyone of you open an account with one the biggest german banks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have to travel to DB in germany and open a deposit account with minimum of €100,000-did you follow up on it ?

Japester
I am opening account with DB in person next week -I see you intend opening the term account with interest rate of 2%-my question is can you electronically withdraw from this account over the internet and is there a big penalty -do you need to have the term acct open for a certain period before you can withdraw and is there a limit on the amount you can withdraw?

149 Oaks surely this is not correct -you are entitled to open a €100,000 demand deposit account and you are not required to invest it -can you cllarify this ?

Deutsche Bank Deposit Accounts

There appears to be a bit of confusion-DB require a mimum of €100000 to open a savings account -several posters have been told that this €100,000 has to be invested and cannot remain in a deposit account -numerous other posters say they had no problem in opening a savings,current or term deposit account -what is the correct position?

Savvy Row
Is it not possible to use the internet to withdraw on the €100,000 DB account once it has been opened?

It's odd how many Germans are worrying and doubling-checking their own banks' exposure to a Greek (and possibly Ir/Port default) at the same time as Irish posters here are considering putting their money into those same German banks.
(Look especially at DB's exposure.)

-same for French banks.

Mind you, most experts agree that the big German and French banks could withstand a default.
Probably.

@ Modestus, I have opened an account with DB since and I have both a regular account (current a/c) and a savings account - they advised me that this was the only way to go at the time - there is a quarterly charge for having the regular account though (I think its something like EUR5 per quarter) but a small price to pay for what I consider greater security than the Irish banks (I hope!). I haven't attempted to make any withdrawal to date but I do believe that the reason for the regular account is so that Internet withdrawals can be made (they don't seem to be directly possible from a savings account but I could be wrong). I am currently getting a 2% interest rate on the money (70k) in the savings account - I think (could be wrong) that there is an upper limit of 100k for a savings account (could be a non-resident limit). I have received statements etc from the branch since and have emailed them several times and they are extremely professional and prompt in all my dealings with them. For me its just a security thing - I'm not interested in the interest rates per se, just that the money is in a relatively safe place, which I didn't feel I was getting in the Irish system.

Japester
Thanks for your advice -I am going ahead with DB deposit as I feel if euro falls the last line of defence is the German Banks -I wonder is there a big penalty if you withdraw for 2% term account -keep me posted on your experience -I will advise if get any new information

I found the DKB website in May and applied online then went to a bank to have copy of my passport certified as true copy. No Einkommensnachweiss, no employment contract, no bank statements, no proof of income, etc. I have never been to Germany and I'm not German (I'm Asian and work as a pilot for an African charter company).

My bank then sent the form and copy of my passport directly to Berlin via DHL, cost of which was deducted from my account. It's been with DKB for nearly three weeks and all I got from them was an acknowledgment email, confirming they have my application:

Ihre Unterlagen sind bei uns vollständig eingegangen und befinden
sich noch in Bearbeitung. Momentan verzeichnen wir jedoch in unserem
Team ein sehr hohes Aufkommen an DKB-Cash-Anträgen.

Deshalb verzögert sich die DKB-Cash-Eröffnung ein wenig. Sobald Ihr
Antrag bearbeitet wurde, werden wir unaufgefordert auf Sie zukommen.

Then today I received a call (very nice of them to call me here in Namibia!) informing me that my Cash-Konto application was successful and that they will send me my account documents and visa/maestro cards.

To protect myself from all this identity theft problems, I subscribe to Experian and Transunion credit reports, both of which notify me of any account activity in my name or whenever a credit account is opened or if anyone makes inquiries about my creditworthiness. I got one of those generic emails on Tuesday last week from Experian so i immediately checked my Experian account online and this is what i see on record --

File Query / Type Int / 0000040206 DKB D / Full Dosier Disclosure 20110614 13:22

I wonder what was disclosed...

Japester
Your information on DB is correct -you cannot withdraw from your term investment period unless you get certification that you need the money for a life saving operation -house purchase would not be acceptable -they do not have an interest penalty system for early withdrawal
Also they have lower interest rates for other savings accounts but you must give at least 3 months notice before you can withdraw-with current account no interest but you can withdraw over the internet

German Accounts

Ok folks so here's a bit of info in exchange (hopefully!) for a bit of info.

Background: recently redundant, in joint possession of a 2006 fully healthy tiger-era mortgage that to date is perfectly serviced, and also possess an Irish pension (bye to some of that!). In other words, I'm pretty well invested in the Irish euro area as it is, intend to stay here, service the mortgage, find new work, live happily ever after, etc.

However I'm looking at diversifying where my cash is, for a couple of reasons. 1 - Diversification always good, and I'm way behind. 2 - Euro having a tough time for sure, and I think it's not unlikely that it won't survive in it's current format medium-term (finances too divergent + politics too divergent to allow for sufficient financial convergence. IMO only). 3 - I'm unconvinced of the strength of Irish banks, notwithstanding the fact this holds for foreign banks to an extent. 4 - Other reasons I won't post until my diversification is complete.

So for the above reasons, I want to spread my cash in 2 ways. Firstly, outside Ireland in Euros. My preference is Germany, because in the event of a Euro breakup, Germany is most likely to be in whatever the strongest and most currency-appreciative remnant fragment is. Secondly, outside of Euros.

Based on info from AAM, I've already opened with KT in Switzerland. So far, so brilliant - no charges to date, easy to transfer money across electronically after a bit of juggling. I'm slightly confused by what currency they hold the money in, and haven't tried transferring money back, but working on that.

So I'm looking for someone to summarise the German account situation. I understand a German bank might be shaky either if it all hits the fan, I'm just looking for a "relatively" stable German bank. Been looking over the thread at DB vs DKB, and can't quite work it out.

I am happy to travel to Germany once to open the account, and do any verification I need to do (German post office, whatever) so long as it can be all done in one day. I'm looking for in decreasing order of priority:

1 - Allows non-German residents to hold an account (obviously)
2 - Would be redenominated in a future German currency in the event of Ireland and Germany parting currency ways, even if the account holder is in Ireland.
3 - No-notice access. If I need the cash back, I don't want to wait, nor penalised.
4 - Transfers in and out electronically, to/from my Irish bank.
5 - No, or very low, charges.
6 - Interest would be handy enough, but it comes behind all the rest.

No stupid minimum balance. I mean, it'll be in 4 figures, but it's not going to be 50K or 100K.

So - can anyone whose been through the DB and/or DKB process clarify if either of them meets my needs? I can't figure it from the thread!

thanks, d

-plus notary fees. So anything from 300-400 euros depending on notary fees and whether you want current or deposit a/c
However -may cost as much going to Germany with hotel etc

So, if time is short maybe a reasonable price for the panic-striken to quickly get their money in a German bank. (actually the bank in question HPV is part of a bigger group Unicredit ,Italian based. Whether that should worry anyone I'm unsure)

Can't understand why HPV office here in Dublin or Unicredit , also with an office here, doesn't have a facility for Irish customers to open an a/c in an overseas branch.

At least HPV doesn't mess around with foreign exposure (Greek or otherwise) unlike some of the bigger German banks.

I work in the forex investment market here in Macau and Hong Kong. Banks here charge a fortune for all transactions so I decided to look for one in Europe that will reduce my costs. Plus I wanted to have an account maintained in Euros. I found the DKB and applied for a Cash-Konto with the help of a German friend of mine in Hong Kong. HSBC certified a copy of my passport.

I had serious doubts of being approved as i have never stepped foot in Europe, let alone Germany, and have zero connections to Germany and zero credit history in Germany.

I just got this email (below). Please, can someone translate this for me. I can't reach my German friend as he is travelling overseas. Thanks!!!

Vielen Dank für Ihren Antrag.

Wir können Ihnen mitteilen, dass Ihr DKB-Cash eröffnet worden ist.

Eine separate Bestätigung und Ihre Kontonummer erhalten Sie in den nächsten Tagen per Post.

Wir haben Ihr Kreditkartenlimit auf EUR 1.000,00 angepasst.

Die aktuelle Limithöhe entnehmen Sie bitte Ihrer monatlichen Kreditkartenabrechnung oder der Detailansicht im Internet-Banking.

Voraussetzung für eine weitere Erhöhung ist der direkte Eingang Ihrer regelmäßigen Gehaltszahlungen auf einem Konto in unserem Hause.

Für Rückfragen stehen wir Ihnen gern zur Verfügung.

Bitte ändern Sie die Betreffzeile beim Beantworten der E-Mail nicht!
Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Ihr Team Cash International

Deutsche Kreditbank AG
Telefon Inland: 0 18 03/120 300
(9 Ct./Min. aus dem dt. Festnetz, höchstens
42 Ct./Min. aus dt. Mobilfunknetzen)
Telefon Ausland: + 49 30/33 02 34 44
Fax 030 / 68 83 00 81 04

Deutsche Kreditbank AG
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Jan-Christian Dreesen
Vorstand: Günther Troppmann (Vorsitzender), Rolf Mähliß, Dr. Patrick Wilden, Stefan Unterlandstättner
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Taubenstr. 7-9, 10117 Berlin
Deutsche Bundesbank Berlin Kto: 12030000 (=BLZ), SWIFT-BIC:BYLADEM1001
Handelsregister: Berlin-Charlottenburg (HRB 34165)

German to English translation per Google Translate

Thank you for your request.

We can tell you that your DKB-Cash has been opened.

A separate confirmation and your account number will be sent in the next few days by post.

We have adjusted your credit card limit to EUR 1.000,00.

The current height limit, please refer to your monthly credit card statement or the Details view in internet banking.

Requirement for a further increase is the direct input of your regular salary payments to an account in our home.

For further information please do not hesitate to disposal.

Please do not change the subject line when replying to the e-mail!
Sincerely,

Your team Cash International

After the default back to the Punt, the Gov could impose very high rates of tax (60%/70%) on money coming back into the country................to make it more equitable vis a vis those who kept their money in Ireland.

RedDevil
Only the questionnaire pages and the identity certification page will need to be returned to the bank. You must take the identity certification page and your original passport with you to a bank. The bank must attest to the fact that the photocopy of your passport is a true and accurate reproduction of that passport and the person presenting the DKB account application is the same person represented on the passport.
Next, yes, after the passport is certified, that would be the last time you would see your DKB application form. The bank is not allowed to return it to you and must send the application form and identity certification form directly to Berlin. This is to prevent applicants from making changes to the documents after the bank certifies your identity. We use the same process here in Macau and Hong Kong (I work in the financial industry).

No proof of residence was attached to my DKB application, but you would need to bring one with you when you approach the bank. The bank certifies on the identity certification form that your proof of residence and passport were sighted by them. That certification constitutes proof of address.

Proof of salary or source of income might help influence the outcome of your application. I didn't attach any to mine. I guess they make inquiries via credit reporting agencies.

No advance cash transfers will be accepted as you first need to wait for the bank's decision.

After the default back to the Punt, the Gov could impose very high rates of tax (60%/70%) on money coming back into the country................to make it more equitable vis a vis those who kept their money in Ireland.

Yes, there can also be a 3rd world war... :confused: :eek: :confused: :eek: :confused: :eek: :confused: :eek: :confused: :eek:

All hypothesis of course...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back