Developer raised ground level by 1.5 Metres

Beanie

Not sure if anyone is going to know the answer to this but here goes. A developer has started to clear a site behind my house to build houses. The site behind my house is sloped and its going to be landscaped by the developer. We have a 2 metre high hedge along this site which would provide some privacy. When I got home the devloper had not only leveled this sloping area but he has put another 1.5 metres of soil on top leaving my garden overlooked. I contacted the council and they said that I need to put my complaint in writing for their engineer to look at and couldnt give me any other information.
Does anyone know if you breach your planning permission by raising the ground level by this amount?
The plans I obtained from the council shows the area sloping rather than at the same level.
On a lighter note my neighbour is trying to sell his house to the developer so the developer can demolish the house and build apartments (subject to PP).

Beanie said:
Not sure if anyone is going to know the answer to this but here goes. A developer has started to clear a site behind my house to build houses. The site behind my house is sloped and its going to be landscaped by the developer. We have a 2 metre high hedge along this site which would provide some privacy. When I got home the devloper had not only leveled this sloping area but he has put another 1.5 metres of soil on top leaving my garden overlooked. I contacted the council and they said that I need to put my complaint in writing for their engineer to look at and couldnt give me any other information.
Does anyone know if you breach your planning permission by raising the ground level by this amount?
The plans I obtained from the council shows the area sloping rather than at the same level.
On a lighter note my neighbour is trying to sell his house to the developer so the developer can demolish the house and build apartments (subject to PP).

you would need to check what the planning permission says.... it may specify something about it...

I think you should make a formal complaint/ letter of observation to the Local authority straight away. The original application should have spot levels indicated at the very least for finished floor levels, manholes cover levels etc. I would consider 1.5m to be significant and unless he has permission to do this you should certainly object, but do so quickly.

The plans you got from the council should show contour levels for the site and the relative position of buildings etc to these levels. If the developer has raised the level particularly near your boundary then he is not developing the site as he outlined in his planning application.
Variations from agreed levels are one of the items council planning departments take most issues with.
You should put your issue in writing to the council if you think it is a real imposition on you, better again if you have proof. Unfortunately unless you are handy with a laser level and site surveying equipment you will need an engineer to check the levels for you. This could cost you a couple of hundred, maybe less if you know someone.
You could get Fas or a local technology college to have a field trip in your back yard and take a contour survey !!

AndyH
[broken link removed]

Back