Deposit Sought Before Work Commences

Kerrigan

We are getting some tiling work done in the bathroom and had a guy come around and give us a quote.

As he is supplying the tiles he has asked for a deposit up front.

He seems well above board but you never know.

Ms. Kerrigan but a doubt in my mind when she said no money should be paid out until completion.

Any thoughts??

How much of a deposit in percentage terms?
Would writing a post dated cheque be an option?

He's looking for cash! Apparantly the supplier he gets them from no longer issues credit to their account holders.

40% deposit sought up front.

My own view is that 40% of the full price is too much to pay up front. I'd be worried about a service provider who did not have the cashflow to cover such costs until completion and payment.

Is there an option for you to pay the supplier directly and have them delivered to you directly. That is what I would do. In the middle of bathroom refit at the moment and I have not paid out one penny to the guy doing the job although he has bought/supplied some stuff. I have offered to cover these costs thus far and he is happy to wait for payment at the end.

Clubman, yes I thought 40% was a bit steep.

Is there an option for you to pay the supplier directly and have them delivered to you directly. That is what I would do. In the middle of bathroom refit at the moment and I have not paid out one penny to the guy doing the job although he has bought/supplied some stuff. I have offered to cover these costs thus far and he is happy to wait for payment at the end.

Good idea. I'll put that too him.

If he is still not happy I'll look elsewhere.

+1 what niceoneted has stated, but don't use the guy as a middleman, even if he suggests he can get the tiles at a discount.

You buy the tiles and the grout he lays them and gets paid for it.

Just be aware that if you buy the tiles directly from the supplier you pay VAT at 21% but if the tiler supplys and lays the tiles then you only pay 13.5% on the total price.

If you are only buying tiles for less than €1,000 then I would buy the tiles direclty from the supplier and ty and squeeze as much of a discount as you can off the supplier.

Get the tiler to give you a labour rate and get him to include for grout, adhesive and trims. Labour rate for a good tiler is approx €24/m2 + VAT and €6/m2 for grout, adhesive and trims.

Just be aware that if you buy the tiles directly from the supplier you pay VAT at 21% but if the tiler supplys and lays the tiles then you only pay 13.5% on the total price.

If you are only buying tiles for less than €1,000 then I would buy the tiles direclty from the supplier and ty and squeeze as much of a discount as you can off the supplier.

Get the tiler to give you a labour rate and get him to include for grout, adhesive and trims. Labour rate for a good tiler is approx €24/m2 + VAT and €6/m2 for grout, adhesive and trims.

Why would you pay per m2 for grout and trim ? I can understand why you would for adhesive but grout ?

I work as a Chartered Quantity Surveyor and I worked it out at €6/m2. This is what we pay our tilers but I am sure someone will tell me they are paying lower rates but compare apples with apples etc etc.

Surely a decent/viable tradesperson would have working capital to tide them over from job to job until they get paid?

Surely a decent/viable tradesperson would have working capital to tide them over from job to job until they get paid?

If they get paid...

...trademen find it harder and harder to get paid by their customers.

If successive householders choose to take advantage of a tradesmen by refusing point blank to pay them (as happens), no amount of working capital will tide over the tradesman ad infinitum. This uncomfortable fact should be no reflection of the decency or integrity of the tradesman. Tradesmen who are expected to supply materials as part of the job (eg plumbers) are especially vulnerable to being ripped off.

I'm not saying don't pay them but a deposit of 40% seems totally excessive to me. The original poster asked for opinions and my own is that I would not pay this and in general I prefer not to pay anything until the job is completed satisfactorily.

"WORKING CAPITAL" i hear you say,what with the entire country borrowing €400,000,000 +/- p/a,where,would you suggest,would that working capital appear from???

Does it automatically mean if a tradesperson doesnt have sufficent working capital they are not decent people as your ill thoughtout post suggest.

I'm not saying don't pay them but a deposit of 40% seems totally excessive to me. The original poster asked for opinions and my own is that I would not pay this and in general I prefer not to pay anything until the job is completed satisfactorily.

You say any decent/viable tradespersons should have the"cashflow ""to see the service provided through to completion.

You also say that you perfer "not to pay anything" until the job is completed satisfactorily. ????

What an amazing little fairy tale world you exist in.

From your posts i can almost assume the well insulated area you operate in.

Good day.

I am in the "trade " so to speak and never ask for payments up front for jobs under €5k , but this is because I have a float and accounts with suppliers. But because I have supplier accounts and run a "proper business " I also charge accordingly.

The problem at the moment is that customers seem to want "Paddy in the Hiace rates" but want the service you would get from a proffesional company.So for the OP if your bathroom fitter wants money up front it is because he is too cheap to be able to run a proper business and also not making enough to do the job properly.

My advice is get an established company to do the work , pay them the higher price, pay them on completion and keep the standard 5% retention for 2 months and get your 12 month warranty.

Back