Deposit Safety

Bigmc

Hi all,

I have read several threads on this site but am still confussed on the safety of my cash on deposit. I have several deposits with Irish Nationwide for 3 months, 6 months, 9 months & 12 month terms. The total of all these accounts would be well in excess of €100,000. I understood the goverment gauranteee covered 100% of this money but if this is so why are so many people on this site sayin to spread your deposits out over a number of banks to make sure all your money is covered by the gaurantee?

thanks for any light you can shine on this

Yes, if the deposits are personal deposits and not corporate deposits they are fully protected for the full term.

Why do people say spread your deposits? Well, there are major uncertainties regarding the future of several banks including INBS. Also, some people have questioned the states financial capabilities to pay back all depositors in these institutions should a wind down decision be made.

With great term deposit rates elsewhere, it is not hard to spread your deposits.

I've been asking the same question as the origianl poster.

Basically I see it like this - the state has gauranteed all deposits held in Irish banks (or those banks who have opted to avail of this guarantee) up till the end of September. Thereafter, the banks are on their own, so two things can happen:-

1. In the course of the two year gaurantee, the bank has been able to replenish its balance sheet and will be able to function independently of the state as a private business.
2. In the course of the two year guarantee, the bank has not been able to replenish its balance sheet and goes bust. In which case the state only guarantees the first €100,000 of deposits for each account.

Alternatively, the government extends the bank gaurantee to an indefinite period.

In this case, two things can happen:-

1. The cost of borrowing to keep these banks afloat cripples Irelands ability to borrow, in which case the state runs out of money, and a structural collapse of the economy occurs (i.e. there is no cash in the ATM or in your paypacket)

2. The government, in a desperate bid to prevent option 1., slashes government spending, refuses to pay public sector workers for a month, leading to industrial unrest, civil strife, and an overall structural collapse in the economy (i.e. there is no cash in the ATM).

In either case, the state guarantee is worthless - if there is no money, there is no money.

I would consider putting your money off shore. This has tax implications, but at least your money would be safe.

I would consider putting your money off shore. This has tax implications, but at least your money would be safe.

What country are you thinking of? Why do you consider that country safer? I agree though that if there's no money, then there's no money...

Things can happen in those other countries,.. including perhaps laws being passed which mean that deposits held by foreigners are claimed / confiscated by the foreign state, or taxed heavily.

Basically I see it like this - the state has gauranteed all deposits held in Irish banks (or those banks who have opted to avail of this guarantee) up till the end of September.

Personal deposits are fully protected until December 31st 2010.

Corporate deposits are only protected until September 29th 2010.

Hi Igcuimhne81,

You make make some very interesting points.

But if everyone followed your advice and moved their savings offshore, would that not lead to economic collapse also. Of course, I am not an expert in this field and I may be missing something.

Hi Igcuimhne81,

You make make some very interesting points.

But if everyone followed your advice and moved their savings offshore, would that not lead to economic collapse also. Of course, I am not an expert in this field and I may be missing something.

Hi milic

Im no expert either, but after whats happened in the last two years I am quitely confident I have as much a chance of calling it right (or wrong) as any so-called 'expert' has.

senior bond holders versus depositors

This morning, 30/8/10 on to-day with Pat Kenny, Willie O’Dea, discussing bank bailouts, said, “there is a fundamental difference between American law and Irish and UK law . Under Irish and UK law senior debt, senior bond holders are on the same level and have to be treated similarly to deposit holders. Now nobody wants deposit holders to lose money but if, as I understand the law here and in the UK to which the bonds have been issued it would mean that if you were to penalise the senior bond holders you’d also have to penalise the depositors”

Is this true? I always thought deposits were safer than bonds.

Rob

PO bonds and certificates

Are Post Office bonds and certs safe or is there a danger that a sovereign default will encompass all bonds such as those held through the post office? thanks as always for sound advice.

This morning, 30/8/10 on to-day with Pat Kenny, Willie O’Dea, discussing bank bailouts, said, “there is a fundamental difference between American law and Irish and UK law . Under Irish and UK law senior debt, senior bond holders are on the same level and have to be treated similarly to deposit holders. Now nobody wants deposit holders to lose money but if, as I understand the law here and in the UK to which the bonds have been issued it would mean that if you were to penalise the senior bond holders you’d also have to penalise the depositors”

So does O'Dea advocate changing the law so that in future senior bond holders (i.e investors) can be told to go and jump, rather than being protected as there are today?

If not, then what's his point?

In which case the state only guarantees the first €100,000 of deposits for each account.

I believe the state guarantees 100K per person. So you need to spread the money around foreign banks as well, up to their governments limit. They are also covered the Irish 100k limit (if operating here), but if the Irish state goes bust, their cover drops back to their home countries limit.

Are Post Office bonds and certs safe or is there a danger that a sovereign default will encompass all bonds such as those held through the post office? thanks as always for sound advice.

State Savings are operated by the NTMA. The NTMA includes them as part of their national debt funding figures.

Nobody can say for certain what would happen to these NTMA deposits if Ireland defaults but they would hardly been seen as the safest if Ireland defaults.

Well, if a lot of people, pulls their deposits offshore or out of Irish banks it would have very serious implementations for Irish domestic banks.

This has not happened in a major way yet, but Anglo lost 5 billion in deposits in the first half of 2010 and AIB lost 4 billion in corporate deposits in the first half of 2010. Conversely, NTMA State Savings deposits increased in the first half of 2010.

Hypothetical question.

You have 500k in deposit in an Irish bank.

You also have 500k in loans/mortgages from the same bank.

Bank deposit scheme expires so your cover is back to 100k.

Bank then goes belly up.

Is the nett position between you and the bank then zero or could your loan be sold to a third party and you lose 400k of your deposit?

Banks can legally net depsosits and loans.

There was an article in the Sunday Business Post recently with examples of banks that have taken mortgage arrears from deposit accounts.

Yes I know the bank can do it if the customer defaults I was just wondering if it works the other way around if the bank fails.

Hypothetical question.

You have 500k in deposit in an Irish bank.

You also have 500k in loans/mortgages from the same bank.

Bank deposit scheme expires so your cover is back to 100k.

Bank then goes belly up.

Is the nett position between you and the bank then zero or could your loan be sold to a third party and you lose 400k of your deposit?

Is 100k the limt for the EU member, which I assum would be Ireland as well?

Back