Dentist charges €160 for extraction: excessive?

Re: Dentist charges

Sorry I think our wires are crossed here. I'm talking about tax relief i.e. Med2 form. That link above is for prsi relief.
the cost for an extraction under rsi benefit is €12 so you might want to check that out.
Again this is prsi related and afaik the dentist gets this relief and the 'customer' makes up the remainder.

If it helps, i recently got 2 fillings on PRSI(qualified after 5 years) and cost €108. (free xray and polishing)

I'm lucky though, it was my first dental visit in 17 years(age 32 now), i just looked after my teeth, i was expecting worse!

Just been to dentist today (also 2 weeks ago) after a gap of far too many years.

€30 for the initial consultation (incl. xray)
€95 just now for hygienist cleaning.

Is that a lot? I know with my PRSI i can get two check ups and a clean free per year but so far have had to shell out for all work...

M

Guys - Go to the North for Large Jobs. A lot Cheaper

I just paid €110 today for 1 filling with a pin - is this a record ??

Guys - Go to the North for Large Jobs. A lot Cheaper

North is definitely the way to go.

Is the whole prsi scheme encouraging higher prices, as a lot of customers don't watch the cost if it's not coming out of their own pocket??

You never see the dentists charges upfront so you don't know what it is going to cost you. €110 was on top of my PRSI contributions.

Do dentists in the north accept & charge in euros??

I Hope it does.
I have another appointment for a filling next week & am in 2 minds about it

Can all 'non-routine' dental work be claimed through the med1 form?
I am going for a consultation with an orthodontists next week but haven't decided to go ahead with the braces yet.
Orthodonists work is classified as 'non-routine'.

I had thought you only get prsi relief on this sort of work.

I'll give you an example of the Rip-off Ireland:

Quotations in Ireland: Implant: 6000, Brigde, 3000
Quotations in Spain: Implant 1200, Bridge, 600

Got it done in a REALLY GOOD clinic. And of course they NEVER charge you for x rays over there.

If anybody want their details I can pass them on. They are very good, serious, professional.

Just at dentist yeaterday. Got xray and cleaning, will need two fillings. Total cost will be €90 under PRSI scheme. €40 per filling plus €10 for xray. Not too bad in scheme of things

Back