Denis O'Brien Gift to FAI

Niallymac

Good old Denis arrives on his white horse to cough up a couple of million to an organsiation with reserves of >€20m

When is he going to stop treating the Irish public like mugs with his high profile altruistic stunts. If he was a true statesman, he would have paid his taxes like the rest of us, instead of legging it Portugal and depriving the state coffers of >100m in Capital Gains Tax that was due to them.

Good old Denis arrives on his white horse to cough up a couple of million to an organsiation with reserves of >€20m

When is he going to stop treating the Irish public like mugs with his high profile altruistic stunts. If he was a true statesman, he would have paid his taxes like the rest of us, instead of legging it Portugal and depriving the state coffers of >100m in Capital Gains Tax that was due to them.

Not sure how tax compliant he is or isn't but I don't see or hear of any tax judgements against him.
Fair play to him I say. In this day and age when most of the Irish monied class are investing in English/Scottish football it is good to see someone putting it into Irish football.

Now if we could only get a few millionaires to invest in LOI clubs.

instead of legging it Portugal and depriving the state coffers of >100m in Capital Gains Tax that was due to them.

which option would you have taken?

Have to agree with OP. Michael O'Leary for all his faults lives and pays his taxes in Ireland.

Saw "Prime Time" a few years ago talking about tax exiles and their donations to Ireland. O'Brien is by far the most serious benefactor that this country has and most of it is never given publicity. He doesn't want any attention for the vast majority of what he gives out.

Would wonder if this is a publicity stunt though considering his ongoing battle with the O'Reilly's for the control of INM.:D

We complain about our taxes and the use or misuse of them, and these guys are in a position that they can get round the system so fair play to them. I don't think anybody in their right mind would pay up millions in taxes every year if there was a legal way around it.

If he was a true statesman
Eh? What has this got to do with whatever donation he has made to the FAI? Does he set himself up as some sort of statesman? If not then what are you on about?! :confused:
When is he going to stop treating the Irish public like mugs with his high profile altruistic stunts.
How exactly is he treating the Irish public like mugs with this "stunt"?!? :confused:
he would have paid his taxes like the rest of us
Well - most of us...
instead of legging it Portugal and depriving the state coffers of >100m in Capital Gains Tax that was due to them.
Are you implying that he did something illegal?

Would wonder if this is a publicity stunt though considering his ongoing battle with the O'Reilly's for the control of INM.:D

Possibly. Trapattoni will probably have to wear Denis O'Brien t-shirts, caps, sweat bands etc!! And he won't give interviews to the INM!!!

I think the whole thing is a farce. Why did they have to make the donation public and why was it directly tied to the managers salary? He could have just given the FAI the money and let them spend it as they saw fit. I wonder did he have more influence on the decision than has been let on. Would the money have been available to pay Venables?

I think the whole thing is a farce.
I think the majority of us would consider it a great result for Irish soccer, and to dwell on this side issue would detract from what is a very positive appointment.

Why did they have to make the donation public and why was it directly tied to the managers salary?

If it wasn't made public and was found out about in due course there would have been uproar. I don't think we can blame them for coming clean and being honest. Regards the payment towards salary, well thats were so much of the publicity has been focused i.e can we afford a top coach so it makes sense that the donation was put forward on those grounds.

I wonder did he have more influence on the decision than has been let on. Would the money have been available to pay Venables?

So who would have been the better appointment. Why the bitterness when we have the best man for the job, we should be celebrating and not nitpicking at the details of the appointment.

I think the majority of us would consider it a great result for Irish soccer, and to dwell on this side issue would detract from what is a very positive appointment.
If it wasn't made public and was found out about in due course there would have been uproar. I don't think we can blame them for coming clean and being honest. Regards the payment towards salary, well thats were so much of the publicity has been focused i.e can we afford a top coach so it makes sense that the donation was put forward on those grounds.
So who would have been the better appointment. Why the bitterness when we have the best man for the job, we should be celebrating and not nitpicking at the details of the appointment.

Please don't call me bitter and where did I say he wasn't the best appointment. Unlike alot of fans and media though, one good lucky appointment doesn't mean I think Delaney and co are any more capable of running Irish soccer then they were before yesterdays announcement

Remember Trapattoni came to them, they didn't find him despite looking for months. And can you imagine the English FA taking a donation from Richard Branson to pay for Capello's wages?

Gift tax is an issue for recipients and not donors.
You're right, in my zeal to take a swipe at Mr. O'Brien I got it the wrong way around. So I guess the FAI will be liable for gift tax then?

Anyway, have the FAI actually taken up Denis O'Brien on his offer? From listening to Vincent Browne last night it was unclear as to whether the offer was accepted or not. If not, and with the rumour that Eircom were pulling out as shirt sponsors, couldn't Denis O'Brien's telecoms company come in and sponsor the FAI instead.

Saw "Prime Time" a few years ago talking about tax exiles and their donations to Ireland. O'Brien is by far the most serious benefactor that this country has and most of it is never given publicity. He doesn't want any attention for the vast majority of what he gives out.

I think you're wrong here, it has to be the irish/american Chuck Feeney of the Atlantic Foundation who has given 1 billion to Ireland to various universities and research projects over the years. His one condition was that he remained anonymous, its only recently that its been revealed, in a book 'The billionaire that wasn't)He has to be one of the worlds greatest philanthropists and chooses to fly economy wherever he goes. I applaud O'Brien for rescuing the irish football team, I think its great! but his gift also serves as good publicity to further his business interests. Chuck Feeneys philosophy is to spend all his money by 2016 and he has serious billions to spend. He set up his businesses to avoid paying tax because he reckoned he could spend it better than any government!! And truly I think he has...

well said

Even if his gift meant he chose the manager (which I know he did not)then I would gladly let him do it again,The guy he got is the best in the business, Now Denis please do the same with our Rugby team, then can would pick and pay someone to run the NHS,sort out crime,traffic is a big issue and so on. If Michael O Leary and Denis O Brien ran this Country we would all be much better off.

did JP McManus not do the same for limerick GAA ? give them money etc..

if some one had said, if only we got someone to give a donation to get a top manager would we have said yes ? probably !

so what he dodged his taxs, by moving abroad, like every other person with an off shore account over the years...

Back