Demo vs New

Happy_Harry

OK, this is the question I need some urgent help with..
Car X ( list price is 21000) can be got for 19.400 new , this is the lowest price from several dealers.
One dealer has a demo model (06) with 4k miles on the clock on offer for 18 K. The car will get a service and full warranty.
I was thinking of haggling it down to 17.5 K, will this be a good deal ?
I buy cash, I intend to trade in the car in 2008. Will the fact I am the 2nd owner do a lot to my trade in price ? I intend to drive about 15000 miles a year.

I don't want a discussion about the make or model of car, that is why I left it out.
Based on some historical information, depreciation of this car is about 3/4 K a year in the first 3 years.

Thanks

if you can get the demo model with 4k clocked for 17.5k then it seems a good deal.as soon as you put plates on a new model its worth alot less than its initial price

i would go with the demo model too..big saving for a few thousand kms...i bought a VW Golf last year that was a demo...saved about 2.5K and only had 3500km on the clock..

Go for the demo model. I know I'd think nothing of two owners, it's all about the car itself.... mileage, service history, etc.

Is the demo model better specced than the other one?

Seems like a good deal to me, a lot of petrol in the 2k savings.

Demo has same spec.
Unfortunately the delaer seems to be unwilling to further negociate, I rather have the new car smell, every consumable new and the knowledge how (and where) the car has been driven for the added 1400 euro. Also I would be confined to black, black is beautiful for city/motorway driving. Now we are living in the country I'd probably go for silver if I have the choice.

Thanks for your advice and believe me I would have gone with it if I could get the price down to 17.5 K.

have a look for similar x models on www.carzone.ie
for comparison, you might find a silver 06 one in a different garage!

but looks like you've got your mind made up regarding new.

best of luck.

Well, car (new & silver) has now been ordered, no way back.

I did actually look at these websites, and I found that most of the advertised 06 (demo/2nd hand) prices were actually higher than the new price I am getting it for, so although it gives you a fair indication, I'd say that there is a lot of bargaining to be done for almost new cars. Probably because most of these demo/2nd hand 06 cars would be from car dealers and they want to keep some bargaining power as well.

can i ask at this stage of the discussion what make/model you bought to understand why the second hand price was more than the new price?

Sure, a Citroen C4 Coupe Design 1.4(which is an action model with higher spec than the basic model ) , it is widely known that Citroen dealers do anything to sell you a car. Which is good for me as I like French cars, unlike many other people :)

Nice looking car the C4’s, just surprised that a new one is cheaper than a demo model with similar spec. I suppose it’s down to the dealer asking for more than the car is worth (surprise, surprise!) expecting the seller to haggle down.
Might also be that the new model might take a few weeks or even months for some models to get to the garage, as apposed to the demo model which can be driven away,
Some people might pay more for the convenience of driving away.

You'll be surprised... I could get any color of this action model in 5 working days !! Apparently Citroen has shipped many cars to Ireland, expecting to sell loads. Another thing is that the list price of this model incl. metallic paint is 21 K, and in a cash deal they take off 1600 which is not bad. I'd say for some of the demo models advertised you might get the same discount in a cash deal. But you'll have to visit the dealer and sit through the sales pitch, you won't get that info on the web.

I hope none of you buy an ex demo I've driven!

These cars live hard lives.

Back