dell dimension 3000 with xp:Can't enter passwords on welcome screen.

G

Guest125

Hi everyone I have a dell dimension 3000 with xp.

I recently had a major computer failure totally my own fault by the way(messing with hard drive partitions).

Luckily I had a restore disc which got me started again.

The problem I have now is that when I bring the system back from standby the cursor is missing and I can't type in my password.

If I click on an account with no password and then log off which brings me back to the welcome/user accounts screen the cursor is always present.

Any suggestions please?

Re: Can't enter passwords on welcome screen.

Try pressing the "Tab" Button. Just left of the letter "Q". Press once at a time to see if the curser blinks in the box where you type your pass. And Tab should bring the curser around to any other boxes you need to type into.

Thanks snakebite I have to go to work now but I'll leave instructions and let you know how it fares out.

Nope snakebite no luck with your suggestion.Any other ideas please?

Press F8 (?) on switching on and force it to do a full reboot rather than coming back out of standby/hibernation and see if that helps?

What "cursor" is missing - the mouse cursor/pointer or the cursor that normally appears in a text box?

Is the login field where you type the text missing ?

The white log in field is there but the vertical cursor is missing.The mouse pointer is present.The problem only occurs if its brought out of standby.If I do a restart or start from being completely off the cursor is always present. Most annoying.

The white log in field is there but the vertical cursor is missing.The mouse pointer is present.The problem only occurs if its brought out of standby.If I do a restart or start from being completely off the cursor is always present. Most annoying.
Can you not move the mouse pointer? Place it in the box and click the left button to make the ''vertical blinking'' curser show in the white box?

I can move the mouse pointer but when I click in the white box nothing happens.When the computer is behaving like this and I click on an account without a password,the account opens perfectly which leads me to believe that any commands from the mouse buttons are working.

Have a similar problem with a Dell XPS laptop. What "appears" to have fixed it is resetting the machine by removing the battery for a while. Maybe you could trying removing the power cord?
I say appears as the problem was intermittent and only tried this yesterday.

You could also try pressing ALT-TAB then seeing if you can click the password entry area.

Thanks for that link Clubman.It seems that it is being caused by a Microsoft update(KB 923191) I've removed it now and I'll let you all know how it fares out.Fingers crossed;) The cheeky so and so's tried to reinstall the update before I had a chance to try logging off.I declined their "kind" offer and I'm going to log off on test1.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back