Delaying my Irish state pension at 66 - good idea?

ukpokerguy

Having spent my working like working in both the UK and Ireland I'm in a fairy weird position in that having just turned 62 (Oct), and not due to consider requirement for a few years yet my state pensions, from both the UK and Ireland work out as follows...

UK - Full state pension (35 years contributions paid) payable from Oct 2028
IR - 520 'A' contributions made, come Mar 1st 2024, so eligible for minimum pension on my 66th birthday in 2027

The question I have is is it worth delaying my IR pension, and continuing to work, till Mar 2029 when hopefully I'll have and addition 60 (5 years) 'A' contributions and so am then eligible for a '15 year' pension from the Irish state or should I just knock it on the head and retire in Oct 2028 and collect what I can from both the UK and Ireland at that time?

Are the pension changes being made from 1st Jan 2024 be beneficial to me in this respect ?

There may be another option assuming the rules around voluntary contributions are also updated. It may be possible to take the UK pension, defer taking the Irish one but instead of working, make voluntary prsi contributions until age 70 or some age before that. Unfortunately there's no one size fits all solution here. It largely depends on how long you live and nobody knows that.

Back