Delay getting appointment for NCT

rheinie

Just wondering have many people experienced problems with getting appointments for NCT.
I have tried every location within a 100 kilometre of my house and cant find one for up to 10 to 12 weeks .
Is this usual and what delays have other people experienced.

Yeah those delays are standard all over the country now since the news about 5 penalty points came out for not having an NCT.

I booked mine in late May and the test is next week !!

There is a huge backlog for the NCT, I applied in May and got an appointment for October, Once you have a date on paper you are covered if stopped by guards or traffic warden. I was lucky, I phoned again and got a cancellation date in June. Didn't feel so lucky when my car failed mind you. Phone every now and then and you should get a cancellation date.

I understand that from the Gardai point of view, you're covered once you have a letter stating that you've a date for your test. But is it possible to re-tax your car if your NCT is out of date? I know I need to ring the tax office, but just wondering if any posters have an idea?

Was in contact with NCT and they told me that if one came available
they would let me know.
Would that reply be ok if stopped by a Garda .It is due since June but
because I was out of work and no job i let it slip.
Am now returning to work and need car for new job.

Was in contact with NCT and they told me that if one came available
they would let me know.
Would that reply be ok if stopped by a Garda .It is due since June but
because I was out of work and no job i let it slip.
Am now returning to work and need car for new job.

It is best to book an appointment and they will send you a letter confirming the appointment. This way you have written proof that you are making an effort.

There are a few recent threads on NCT .

According to the Irish drivers association if it takes more than 28 days to carry out a test you are entitled to have it done for free.

http://www.irishdrivers.org/did-you-know/
"When SGS (The Swiss company carrying out all NCT’s in Ireland) signed the current contract with the Irish Government they agreed to provide free tests for inidividuals if they unable to carry out testing within 28 working days of the test being booked. As most centres now work saturday and sunday this only gives them 4 weeks to give you a date."

That is really interesting, Thank you!
Wish I'd known about it when I was waiting for my test which cost me €50 :(

"When SGS (The Swiss company carrying out all NCT’s in Ireland) signed the current contract with the Irish Government they agreed to provide free tests for inidividuals if they unable to carry out testing within 28 working days of the test being booked. As most centres now work saturday and sunday this only gives them 4 weeks to give you a date."

What does this mean exactly?
When booking the NCT appointment for the car, the first available date was four months away.
Does this mean the test fee should be waived?

Back