Deer!

L

Lemurz

What is Ireland coming to? The M3 & now the silka/red deer. Have we lost all our values? Killing innocent deers to stop road accidents. Either the deer herd need to be relocated or the road needs to be closed. I'd love to have a deer herd in my local housing estate in Dublin. In any other country they would be a valuable tourist attraction!!!

From today's Indedendent...................

A COUNTY councillor is to apply for a hunting licence to shoot deer in the wild in Kerry, after attempts to get the National Parks and Wildlife Service to carry out a cull outside the Killarney National Park failed.

Independent Fianna Fail councillor Michael Healy-Rae said deer were now so numerous on roads in the Kilgarvan and Killarney area that they were crossing the road and causing accidents, "virtually on a daily basis".

Mr Healy-Rae, who hunts game birds and foxes confirmed he is a crack-shot. His decision follows a motion he put down at a Council meeting calling for it to fence along Coillte-owned land to prevent deer roaming on to roads.

The council claimed the land had been the subject of a court case and it was found unlawful to fence in deer.

However, it was not unlawful to fence deer out; the council could fence off the road but it would cost too much. "Surely it is the same thing. If you are fencing them out of one place, aren't you fencing them into another?" Mr Healy-Rae argued.

The IFA in Kerry has also called for a cull to be carried out. They say deer are freely grazing valuable grass lands in winter. There are an estimated 3,000 Sika and Red deer in the area and there were up to a dozen reported accidents involving deer in the various districts in 2004.

Re: Deers!

Maybe the deers could move here without fear of execution for nibbling some grass!

A MILLIONAIRE businessman has offered 285 acres of land to the public for use as a park or outdoor concert venue - but only if the National Roads Authority (NRA) agrees not to sever the property with a new road.

Richard Wood, chairman of construction supply giants John A Wood, has indicated his willingness to donate the 285-acre area west of Cork city if it can be preserved intact.

He hopes the land could be used as a public facility such as a park, wildlife reserve or events centre.

Mr Woods said his donation offer was being made "years earlier than planned" because road planners could destroy the property.

The NRA is considering a variety of options to link the northern and southern sections of Cork's ring road.

"Two of the proposed routes for that link road go through my land and one of those would be damaging to the farm. But the other route would be devastating and would wreck this idea," Mr Woods said.

The land is comprised of two plots - a 220-acre area west of the Carrigrohane Strait a 65-acre area near Carrigrohane Bridge.

Re: Deers!

causing accidents, "virtually on a daily basis".
and there were up to a dozen reported accidents involving deer in the various districts in 2004

Don't they have sub-editors in the Indo?

Well spotted sluice44.

While I'm on a roll, here a a few sites worth a vist (& donation) if your a softie like me.

[broken link removed]

Fota

[broken link removed]

deers

It was Healy Rae who said 'on a daily basis' and whereas there has been a dozen 'reported' accidents. There's a difference.

edit posts

How do I edit my post to take out my mistake? There should obviously be no 'and' after 'basis'.

deer

Deer are culled as a matter of course in the Wicklow National Park area, and in the Phoenix Park.

The culling isn't carried out all that frequently, but does take place to keep numbers down. The Phoenix Park can only support a fixed number of deer, after that they cause a problem. The Wicklow hills require a deer cull to prevent damage to vegetation.

There's nothing wrong with a cull if it's humanely carried out by the Parks service or experienced hunters. County Councillors going out with rifles and banging away is a different matter entirely.

Re: deer

Reminds me of a story in the French press last year about plans to cut down thousands of plane trees on roads in rural France, which, legend has it, were planted by Napoleon to shield his troops from the sun when on the move.

The reason? Too many cars wrapping themselves around them.

Of course, as the leader of the campaign to keep the trees said, its not the trees that are going at excess speed with a skinful on them, now is it?!

If you hit a deer while driving, you're driving too fast. Simple as that.

Try driving through Vermont and avoiding one of these [broken link removed]

upto 1200lbs, you don't stand a chance!

In May last year I was running in a 10K in the Phoenix Park when the race was scattered by deer charging the path.
Trust me - I wasn't moving that fast !

I suggest we arrange a cull of the Healy-Raes, there's far too many of them.

Isn't the plural of "deer", "deer" and not "deers"?

I'm not sure its that straightforward- the roads through the Killarney National Park are very windy and at night can be treacherous- certainly one should drive very slowly on these roads, but even if you drive at 10 mph, a deer can run out in front of you on these roads and you just wouldnt be able to avoid hitting them.

I took the dog for as walk in the Pheonix Park over the Christmas holidays. I wondered what he would do when he got up close to a deer. As we approached the herd of deer started moving away. The dog decided that this was greath fun and started to run after them and succeeded in causing a stampede. I lost sight of him for a few minutes. The he came back.

If anyone had been driving down the road at the time the only way they could have avoided the deer was to put the car into reverse and floor it.

Murt

PS Havn't been back in the Park since

I have to say that I think that deer are extremely giddy!

I encounterd a herd on numerous occasions whilst driving on my way to work in my previous job. They appeared from nowhere! They just rush across a road without paying any attention to traffic.

They resembled kamikaze pilots.

Mind you, the Council had erected signs alerting drivers to this fact.

Marion :hat

They resembled kamikaze pilots.

Mind you, the Council had erected signs alerting drivers to this fact.

I'm picturing a sign with a profile of a slant-eyed stag deer wearing a leather flying helmet & goggles zooming down onto the poor cars in his one-seater plane - was it something like that?

Back